This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been interested in true crime. I watched documentaries and videos on YouTube of different people telling stories. As I find myself in college, I no longer have the time to sit down and watch documentaries. This leads me to the next best thing to continue learning about true crime: podcasts. I have listened to many podcasts with unique hosts who all have their own way of telling true crime stories. Some are better than others, but I find myself going back to look for new episodes every week.

Crime Junkies

My favorite true crime podcasters, if that is what you call them, are Ashley Flowers and Britt Prawat. They started Crime Junkies in 2017 and have continued to build their platform across multiple podcasts called The Deck, Red Ball and Full Body Chills. Ashley’s storytelling skills keep me invested and engaged throughout the entire episode. While she is telling the story, she includes her own opinion on the details of each case. The respect I have for this podcast has grown immensely since I started listening. While they release episodes about true crime cases that have been solved, they also produce episodes trying to gain interest in cases that have gone cold. Because of their large platform and ability to spread awareness, many of the cold cases have been reopened due to Crime Junkie listeners’ interest in finding answers. If their weekly episodes are not enough for you, they also have subscription options that allow you to listen to more exclusive content.

True Crime with Kendall Rae

While on the respect train, I might as well continue by talking about Kendall Rae. The respect I have for Kendall Rae and her ability to share stories is vast. My favorite part about the stories she tells is that she also allows the families of victims to tell their side of the story. I find this valuable because in many cases the family’s voices are not heard by many. Usually, you can find Kendall Rae’s content on YouTube, it being her biggest platform beginning in 2016. Since then she has also been posting episodes on her podcast to spread more awareness.

Serial

I actually discovered this podcast not too long ago, and I have become deeply invested in listening to all of its episodes. The best part about Serial is that they release their episodes in a series, leaving you with multiple, more in-depth podcasts to listen to. I recently finished listening to the series called “The Trojan Horse Affair.” I won’t spoil it for you, but this eight-part story kept me on the edge of my seat. It felt as if you were experiencing the story along with Brian Reed and Hamza Syed, who dived into investigating this scandal. They interviewed many people who were directly involved and affected by this and allowed them to tell their version of events. They dedicated many hours to trying to find the answers that everyone wants. It became a game of pointing fingers, leaving Brian and Hamza spinning in circles trying to keep the story straight. Serial has also produced a series about disappearances, some of which include the person’s experiences while living in captivity. I’m not the type to spoil things for you, so you’ll have to find out how these stories end wherever you find your podcasts.

Behind You

Behind You is hosted by Hailey Elizabeth, who I found on YouTube before discovering she also had a podcast. She began her true crime journey on YouTube where she posts about true crime, drug busts and many Mandela effects. While she posts on her podcast Behind You, she also produces a visual version of the podcast on her YouTube channel. Hailey has a unique way of telling stories; she manages to keep me captivated while also laughing.

While there are many more true crime podcasts, these are some of my top favorites. If you’re a true crime fan like I am, make sure you check out these podcasts!

Haley Slagel

Bradley U '24

My name is Haley Slagel and I am a senior Nutrition and Dietetics major. I love everything about food and talking about it. I also have a cat named Minnie who I love and adore!