This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

This past summer, I spent most of my free time going to the library and reading books for fun. As a college student, it can be hard finding time to read for fun when most of the reading is required for class. I found myself in a reading slump and knew that I wanted to get back into reading this summer. I usually stuck to genres like romance and poetry, but I ventured out and began reading mysteries and thrillers. I wasn’t sure if I would like to read thrillers as much as I do romance, but something changed. Now I would so much rather read a good mystery/thriller book. Out of the almost 20 books I read over the summer these are the top three I would recommend for anyone. Be advised there might be some spoilers.

“What lies in the woods” by Kate Alice Marshall

This book is one of my top five favorite books, so no spoilers on this one. I would not say this book is an easy read. The entire time I read this book it kept me on my toes. The storyline was well-developed, and the ending was a complete plot twist that I did not see coming. To be considered a 5-star book for me, there has to be nothing about the story that I would change. This book, for me, had me staring at the wall after finishing it, trying to comprehend what just happened. Needless to say, this book is a 5-star, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to read a mystery.

“The Last Flight” by Julie Clark

This book was told from two different perspectives where the characters switched lives, or at least they attempted to. The plan went horribly wrong and turned into a disaster that neither one of them could fix themselves. Lies led to more lies, making both characters test their limits when it came to how they were perceived. I thought this book was a fairly easy read, but I still enjoyed the storyline and the plot twists that came throughout the entire book. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to get into reading thrillers.

“Love and Other words” by christina lauren

I know I said I read mostly mystery/thrillers, but this book still has a hold on me. You know it’s a good book when you constantly think about it and wouldn’t change a thing about it. This story is about two childhood sweethearts who randomly reconnect one day. Second chances, ending of relationships, sadness and happiness tie this book together in a way that no other book can. Relationships end and new ones form — some good, some bad. A lot of heartbreak and blossoming love happens throughout this book that may have you crying and needing a box of tissues. I would recommend this book to anyone, even if you told me you don’t like reading romance.

Haley Slagel

Bradley U '24

My name is Haley Slagel and I am a senior Nutrition and Dietetics major. I love everything about food and talking about it. I also have a cat named Minnie who I love and adore!