This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, I am dedicating this article to our hair. Over the years, hair was used as a sign of unity in the Black community. Some popular hairstyles are afros, braids, lots, and relaxers to name a few. Black hair is so strong and versatile which makes it even more loveable. The variations of curl patterns, waves, density, volume, and length offer much to appreciate. Over the last decade, there has been an explosion of natural-hair influencers, natural-hair haircare lines, and even more content on how to care for your crown.

Hair is a form of expression and art in the Black community and a great conversational piece. In recent years, more and more research has been done on the science of curly-kinky hair leading to a deeper love and appreciation. Many Black women would use a relaxer to make styling easier and more convenient since few mainstream products helped with manageability. On top of that, media outlets often advertised straight hair, leading to some women’s insecurities. Not only was it difficult to manage one’s hair, but it was also deemed unkept, inappropriate or unprofessional in some settings. There are still cases today in schools where children are penalized for wearing their hair in braids or loc styles.

Growing up I remember getting my hair twisted, braided or straightened on the weekends. My hair had not been processed then, so styling was sometimes not the most enjoyable experience. I resented the hair bucket to the point where I would hide it when it was time to get my hair done. After some years of battling with the hot-comb, I begged my mother for a relaxer. She eventually gave in, but as I got older I began to regret my decision. During middle school, more and more women began embracing their hair in its natural state by chopping off all of their relaxed hair. So of course, I wanted to do the same.

I have always loved voluminous hair and straight hair did not offer me the volume and versatility I desired. After graduating eighth grade my mom agreed to let me go natural. I cut my hair to a bob, and then the summer after my first year of high school I did the big chop. It was — and still is — an amazing experience nurturing and learning how to care for my hair. I love my hair in its natural state and would not trade it for anything. Embracing my hair the way it is has been a healing journey for me. Seeing how resilient and strong my strands are amazes me each day. My hair is my crown and I am proud to be a curly girl!

Brina Taylor

Bradley U '24

I am a senior this year majoring in Social Work, with a minor in African American Studies.