My 21-In-Peoria Bucket List

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

There’s a lot that comes with turning 21, and the most obvious is that you can then begin to drink legally. While I wish that I was back in Chicago as a freshly 21 year old, I will admit, I’ve learned that there are so many hidden gems for truly making the most of turning 21 in Peoria. Here is my bucket list of things I want to do in my 21st year of life in Peoria, Illinois.

See a Drag Show at Diesel 

One thing that I absolutely need to experience is the club Diesel, which is located in downtown Peoria. I’ve heard so many mystical stories about what it’s like when you go, and I truly cannot think of a more fun place to go out for a night. One thing about Diesel is that they host drag nights and drag shows frequently, and it would be impossible to pass one up. I’ve always wanted to attend one, so having one being in Peoria at a club I already want to go to seems like the best case scenario. 

Spend an Evening at 8-Bit Arcade

One thing that I’ve been really excited about has been the thought of mixing classic arcade games with a night filled with friends and fun cocktails. There is such an array of classic games that I could be entertained for hours at a time at this bar. It certainly won’t hurt that there will also be drinks available, which can make the night even more exciting. I can also have a fun time being competitive with my friends all night, which is something that doesn’t happen all that much. 

Have a Fancy Night at 12 Bar

If there’s one thing that I love more than going out, it’s getting completely dressed up in my most fancy dress and then going out. One place that I’ve repeatedly seen 21+ year olds go in nice dresses for fun is 12 Bar. Since it’s located in Peoria Heights, it already holds a higher level of fanciness than those that are in Peoria. It also doesn’t hurt that it can also be a rooftop bar once the weather is nicer. Being able to sit outside with my friends in a cute little dress, sipping on a fun cocktail over the summer sounds like a dream to me.

Attend a Local Crusens Concert

As much as Crusens is not my first thought when I consider going out, I have to admit that the posts about the local concerts there sometimes pique my interest. While they obviously highlight a lot of country artists, which isn’t necessarily my thing, that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t still have fun attending the concerts. From what I’ve seen, the ticket costs aren’t overly horrible, and I would hopefully get the most out of my money at the concert. It also doesn’t help that it’s a 3 minute drive for a few hours of live music by some local bands.

Win Any Trivia or Bingo Night

I know that a lot of the bars around here that double as a restaurant host nights that are dedicated to either trivia or bingo. Fieldhouse, for example, tends to host a lot of trivia nights that can be filled with food, drinks, and mid trivia experiences. There’s nothing that I want more than to attend one of those competitive nights while being on a team with my friends or boyfriend as we all enjoy ourselves. One thing about me, if there’s a chance to win at Bingo, I will 100% be enjoying my entire time there.

Enjoy the Summer Outdoor Seating at Martini’s

I’ve wanted to go to Martini’s for as long as I can remember, because there have been so many fun stories from my older friends about being there. The atmosphere seems incredible, they host live music a lot, and they’re right on the river. They’re really is no downside to any of it. However, I want to take it a step further. I constantly notice that there is outdoor seating that is right by the farmer’s market over the summer. I have an incredible need to be there while enjoying the weather and watching the river and the farmer’s market once the weather is nice enough to allow it. I can get the free music from the market while enjoying the rest of the ambiance of Martini’s.

Kylie Kruis

Bradley U '25

I am the current president at the Her Campus at Bradley University chapter. I oversee the general operations of the chapter, run meetings, and correspond with HCHQ. Beyond Her Campus, I am also the current community service exec chair for my sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. I have been part of the organization since my freshman year after leading a volunteer group for several years prior to college. I am also the current community service outreach member for Bradley's psychology club, Psi Chi and Psych Club. As the community service member for both, I am constantly reaching out to other organizations in the community to collaborate on creating a better overall town. I am currently a junior at Bradley University in Peoria, IL, majoring in Psychology and English - Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. In my free time, I enjoy hiking with my boyfriend, spending the weekend with my family and dogs, and writing short stories. I'm a new Bachelor nation fan and have extremely strong opinions about most people on them. I also enjoy several podcasts ranging from comedy to true crime. My passion lies with volunteering and being a leader for others whenever possible.