Culture > News

midterm elections – The Importance of Voting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

On November 8th, the United States will have its midterm elections. People generally vote more in the presidential elections, rather than midterm elections, because they’re more high profile. In fact, according to FairVote.org, presidential elections have 60% turnout, while midterms only have 40%. Younger people vote less than older voters as well, so results don’t reflect the reality of the country’s beliefs. 

While every election is important, there’s more at stake than ever. With the overturning of Roe v. Wade, access to abortion and the right to bodily autonomy is at stake everywhere. This is one of the most high profile campaign issues candidates are talking about. It’s what I care about most as a cisgender woman living in a conservative state. But it’s not just abortion rights we should be worried about.

In the wake of January 6th, the foundation of democracy itself is rattled. Across the country, transgender and gay rights are being gutted. Whether it’s the Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill or the Arkansas banning gender-afirming care for minors. With many candidates questioning the validity of the 2020 election, I fear for a backslide into conservatism and fascism. Its more important than ever to take action. 

Oftentimes, we view local elections and midterms as less important. But local elections can actually have a bigger impact on your life than the presidential. Local councils, mayors and officials have say over a number of important things. If you care about local schools, public transport in your town, and sustainable environmental action, you should care about local elections. 

So, if you haven’t already registered to vote, mailed in your ballot, or figured out your polling location, get started! Your voice matters, and voting is one of the most important ways to do it. If you’re passionate about activism, make sure that your work doesn’t end at the ballot box. Vote, protest, petition, invest in mutual aid or go door to door. Be heard however you want to be!

Charlotte Tolly

Bradley U '25

Charlotte is a third year UX design major with a passion for art and writing. In her free time, you can find her baking, reading, or spending time with her friends.