Journaling 101: How to Find Your Journaling Style & Start Journaling Daily

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

If you were to tell me in middle school that I would be journaling as a 21-year-old college student, I would probably make fun of myself for being a “Dear Diary” writer. But, journaling has actually become one of my favorite activities. It gives me the freedom to dump all of my thoughts out of my brain while staying relaxed and having fun. Although my journal entries can vary from a few words to a few pages, it never fails to help me get through each day and learn even more about myself. I think a lot of college students could see the same benefits if they started journaling as well. So, I have compiled a few ideas and suggestions on how to start journaling in a way that is beneficial for you, in your own special way!

For most people, being able to talk about their feelings and what they’re going through is difficult, so why not write things down instead? The idea of journaling was planted into my head by my therapist after my first appointment with her in 2017. She suggested that I write down what I’m feeling, good or bad, whenever I feel something strongly and I immediately became hooked. I love to write and draw, so being able to have another writing/drawing outlet was intriguing. My parents picked me up and we immediately headed to target to pick out a special notebook and colored pens (of course). Ever since then, I have written down my feelings and the date, allowing me to look back at my thoughts and rationalize what was going on in my mind.

Therefore, I am a huge advocate for journaling because it is a simple way to get feelings out without having to really do anything. You’re the one in charge of when, how and why you journal, so it becomes something you enjoy instead of hate. Whether you write complex poems or draw some scribble-ish figures on the page, it’s a form of release that your body and mind can both benefit from. Once you fully commit to journaling, the rest of the process is a breeze.

Choosing a journal and writing utensils to use are two simple but extremely important decisions to make in order to start your journaling journey. You’ll want to choose a notebook or journal that inspires you to write. My current journal has dogs on the front and says “anything is pawsible” simply because I love dogs. Meanwhile, I also have a bullet journal that is more for fun and focused on creativity. That journal has a plain cover that I fill with stickers that I accumulate that year.

The next step is choosing what mediums you’ll write within your journal. For my regular journal, I use flair pens because I love the way they write and I get to choose a color that reflects my feelings that day. Additionally, for my bullet journal, I use a variety of markers and pens to create each page. My favorite markers are the Tombow Dual Brush markers along with Midliner highlighters. These markers have great color and allow me to create pages that are more creative, artsy and fun. I then use my black Flair pen to fill in all of the prompts I created for myself. Once you have chosen a planner and your favorite writing utensil, you’re one step close to writing your first entry.

The final step before actually starting to journal is figuring out which style of journaling will work best for you. As I said, I have a normal journal to hold specifics of each day and a bullet journal to track my feelings each day while being more creative. So, what you will have to do is figure out if you want to start journaling in a more creative, fun and carefree way, or in a straight-forward way. Don’t worry – your original decision as to how you want to journal can (and most likely will) change throughout your journaling journey as your life and preferences change. I originally started by just normally journaling each day, I didn’t have the time to bullet journal. But, as I became more aware of my situation and realized how much I enjoyed having fun with how I tracked my days, I started to bullet journal different things such as my mood, memories from each month, new songs I found on Spotify, and new movies or TV shows that I had watched. The main focus of your journal is to make sure that it works for you, no one else is going to be reading or writing in it, so it should reflect you and only you.

Once you have followed all of the steps, it’s finally time to start journaling. Whether you decide to journal multiple times a day, once daily, weekly or even monthly, journaling should become a healing habit in your life. Looking back at your thoughts and feelings will help you figure out what truly matters to you, what was irrational, and what is something of actual concern in your life. From here you can go about your life and adjust as needed! I personally try to journal every night before I go to bed, but if I forget I don’t get mad at myself. Journaling should be an escape and a tool, not a burden on your life. I hope that this all opens your eyes to the benefits and fun of journaling – don’t be afraid to take that first step!

Hi, everyone! I'm a Music Business major with a minor in Professional Sales at Bradley University who is most likely to be found playing music, taking pictures of my dog, or napping. I am a Type One Diabetic and am very involved in diabetes advocacy: I am always excited to make new connections and new friends.
Allison is the Campus Correspondent and the Founder of the Bradley University chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior at Bradley majoring in Journalism and Social Media Marketing with a minor in Management & Leadership. In her free time she enjoys baking, hiking, or curling up on the couch with her cats.