Hozier’s Return in “Unreal Unearth”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Hozier began his career with a bang! His single, “Take Me To Church,” turned him from a local singer-songwriter to a worldwide phenomenon. That was nearly 10 years ago, and this year, he finally graced us with his third album. In those 10 years, he has become almost a mythic figure in the music world, disappearing for long stretches of time after delivering amazing performances.

In his latest album, “Unreal Unearth,” Hozier draws inspiration from the old and the new. The poem “Dante’s Inferno” is a literary classic about a man traveling through the underworld and coming out of it. This poem serves as the framing device of the album.The album isn’t just a collection of older poetry, it’s a reflection on the pandemic. It tells the story of living through something monumentally terrible and coming out of it. If you’re like me, and have never actually read “Dante’s Inferno” yourself, you’ll still like the music. A lot of the songs are about universal feelings, from grief to lust to resignation. Some of the songs touch on deeper issues, like the legacy of colonialism and generational trauma. The use of the Irish language throughout the album makes these deeper issues much more impactful.

Hozier utilizes a lot of familiar motifs from his earlier albums. He still uses soaring vocal performances, moody instrumentals, and lyrics that feel like he’s twisting your heart around (in a good way). However, the album feels distinct from his previous work because he’s incorporating some of his favorite musical inspirations into the songs. A lot of songs have an R&B feel, while some are more jazzy and upbeat. While the whole album is well-crafted, there are definitely songs I feel like people will have on repeat more than others. Some of the slower songs, while still pleasant, aren’t my favorite to put on all the time.

As for my own favorite songs off the album, “Anything But” standouts with its upbeat defiance. Additionally, his duet with Brandi Carlile, “Damage Gets Done.” I can see this album getting me through autumn, and I’m so happy Hozier fans finally have an album that was worth the wait.

Charlotte Tolly

Bradley U '25

Charlotte is a third year UX design major with a passion for art and writing. In her free time, you can find her baking, reading, or spending time with her friends.