Life > Experiences

How to get the most out of an “all-you-can-eat” restaurant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Have you ever wondered how to get the most bang for your buck at an “all-you-can-eat” restaurant? Well, you’ve come to the right place! This is your guide to getting the most out of an “all-you-can-eat” restaurant.

Choose your restaurant

To begin, you must choose an all-you-can-eat establishment. Sushi restaurants or Chinese buffets are my favorite all-you-can-eat eateries. This is due to the fact that I am a seafood maniac who can consume 50 shrimp on the spot at any time. If seafood isn’t your thing, I’d suggest branching out and visiting some other restaurants. 

Arrive with an empty stomach

This should go without saying, but do not go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant on a mostly full stomach. If I’m going around dinnertime, for example, then breakfast and lunch will most likely be skipped. The main objective is to spend less money but consume a lot of food. If you come in with a full stomach, you’re less likely to get the most value out of this. This may seem ridiculous, but in a capitalist environment, it is our responsibility to get our money’s worth. 

Avoid Salads

Remove the vegetables from the equation: leafy greens, crispy salads, seaweed salad, and so forth. The reason for this is that restaurants want you to load up on the cheapest stuff on the menu so you’ll be too full to savor the more expensive dishes like crab legs, scallops, steaks and other meats. It’s great to have a few greens now and then, but the ideal goal is to get your money’s worth. Rather than loading up on salads, try some delicious crab! Crab is pricey on its own, but buffets give you the opportunity to eat a great amount of it. 

Don’t forget dessert

Dessert should not be skipped! People frequently go to buffets and miss out on some of the sweet options. This could be due to the fact that they are full from their main course. However, if you can wait a few minutes to check if your stomach digests, you might be able to have some wonderful sweets. Most buffets also include a variety of fruit options. I’ve had leches that would normally be super-pricey from the supermarket. Even if getting your money’s worth isn’t a priority, I’d recommend sampling the desserts because who doesn’t like rice pudding? 

Careful with Carbonation

Soda may be an enemy. Please do not misunderstand me! I enjoy a carbonated soft drink with any meal; however, I frequently overindulge in my drink, making it difficult for me to taste other buffet items. That isn’t the case for everyone, though. My mother, for example, requires a fizzy beverage, such as Sprite, to digest food more quickly and consume more food. 

Above all, make sure you eat what you enjoy and have a good time! Yes, it’s admirable to try to get the most out of a buffet, but don’t force food down if you’re not hungry! Your health should always come first.

Amal Choudhry

Bradley U '23

Hi, my name is Amal! I am currently a junior at Bradley University. I am a psychology major with a Biology minor. I have a deep appreciation for literature and I love snow globes.