How Soon is Too Soon to Start Celebrating Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Truthfully, I feel that it’s never too soon to celebrate any holiday. My philosophy is, if something brings you joy, don’t let unspoken societal rules stop you from being happy.

So, we’ve all seen big companies putting out holiday decorations MONTHS in advance. This causes quite the controversy among shoppers. I, myself, used to always hate seeing all the decorations out that early; it felt like I was still processing the holiday that had just happened. As I have gotten older, I realized companies weren’t hurting anything by selling decorations early. If you think about it, it makes sense why they start selling so early. I wouldn’t want to wait until two weeks before Halloween to decorate, would you?

Ever since I started college, and had my own little living space, I’ve loved the concept of holiday decorations. When living in a room slightly bigger than a jail cell, you have to make the most out of the space. Try to make it your own (and your roommate’s) by adding as many personal touches as you can. All of my holiday decorations I’ve used during college came from a dollar store. Don’t let decorating be another budget-breaker! Keep it simple.

Growing up my family was always the type to decorate for holidays super late. The only holiday we typically get around to decorating for before the week of, is Christmas. Needless to say, even though my family doesn’t start decorating early, I know there are plenty of people who have a strict decorating schedule. Due to extenuating circumstances, we kept our Christmas tree up year-round one year. Even though we weren’t actively celebrating it, we were still decorated for Christmas.

When it comes to the topic of Halloween specifically, I would say you can truly start celebrating whenever it brings you joy. That doesn’t mean I think you should be celebrating year-round, but to each their own. I don’t think there should be any kind of limitations on a celebration timeline. Everyone has a different belief system, and a different preference for holidays. Society and the media shouldn’t have a say in the ways you add excitement into your life.

If you’ve been holding off on decorating/celebrating Halloween, stop! I know I’ll be decorating the moment pay-day rolls around!

Josie Smith

Bradley U '25

I'm a junior, journalism major at Bradley University! I love serving as this chapter's editor-in-chief.