Life > Experiences

Extraordinary Packing Tools: The Packing Cubes

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Packing! Some love it, some hate it.

I spend a good chunk of time traveling with my family, school or activities. I’ve spent enough time with a suitcase to be a self-proclaimed packing nerd, and I have a couple hacks I use to make it even easier.

The top of the list: packing cubes.

Now, for those who aren’t familiar, packing cubes are used as internal “bags” you can sort your clothes into to keep your suitcase or duffle bag organized.

It sounds really simple, but the packing cube isn’t just a fabric Ziploc bag.

I’ve separated the types of cubes into three separate sections, explained each one and given my recommendation of the brand that worked for me.

Traditional Cubes

These are the standard cubes used to sort clothing. They save some space, but their primary purpose is just organization. They work great for trips or even just to hold a day-to-day outfit change so your clothes don’t wrinkle at the bottom of your backpack.

My Pick

These cubes were my second set of packing cubes, I’ve had them for 4+ years and still love them. Their condition has not waverd (regardless of how tight I stuff them).

The cubes feature vents to let clothes breathe, and a clear window to easily view what you have inside. The 6 peice set is a great balance. Four cubes for clothes, one laundry bag, and one shoe bag.

Pop-Out Cubes

These aren’t really meant to save space, but can work well as a makeshift closet, to sort clothing and to maintain the shape of delicate clothing.

They aren’t most people’s first pick, but they can be ideal for specific situations.

My Pick

This set is super nice because three of the cubes zip together. You can hang them right up and BOOM you are unpacked. They also have a small and extra-large cube that don’t zip with the rest, but are still useful to have. Also included — a small drawstring bag for shoes or dirty clothes. The set has vents on the side to let clothes breathe, but also maintains privacy with opaque fabric.

I use these when I work at summer camp and move cabins every week. I don’t have to ruffle through well-folded items, and can just throw my clothes in when I am in a rush. The cubes act as a set of cubbies or drawers, and give me a place to store the clothes long term.

Compression Cubes

These are my personal favorites. Compression cubes save the most space and are specifically designed to compress your clothing.

If you have ever had an expanding suitcase, the concept is pretty much the same. Clothing goes in, and then there is an extra zipper that makes the cube smaller and compresses the clothing to take up less space.

My Pick

These cubes compress to be about half their size. It’s impressive how much they can hold and how little space they take up.

I don’t know what else to say besides the fact that they are priced fairly and do their job well.

Packing cubes have changed the packing game. Take advantage of it! We don’t have to just shove a stack of jeans into a suitcase anymore and staying organized makes travel so much easier.

I hope this breakdown helps you stay organized your next trip. Happy packing!

Jessica (or Jessie) and is a contributor for Bradley U's Chapter of Her Campus and an Advertising and Public Relations major at Bradley University. She loves writing a good listicle. Jessie is on the Bradley Her Campus social media team, the Bradley Speech team, and is involved in various other extracurriculars. When not running around loving her busy schedule: she enjoys reading a good fiction book, biking, sudoku, creating fake websites and flyers, and doing various little craft projects. Jessie is passionate about the power of communication and loves to write - hopefully you like to read! :)