This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Disclaimer: I am specifically talking about the holidays I celebrate. There are so many other Holidays and traditions celebrated this time of the year. I just don’t know enough about them. Explore and celebrate whatever is close to your heart!

Welcome to the final stretch of the Holiday season! Two down, one to go.

As an avid Christmas cheer enthusiast, I get my fair share of people trying to tell me when the “right time” to celebrate is. These guidelines vary from person to person, and it has never really made sense to me.

I’ve met a lot of Halloween fans who start the spooky season on September 1st, but are upset with the idea of Christmas coming in November. This celebration timeline is shown below.

Begin Halloween Days Between End Halloween/Begin Christmas Days Between End Christmas
Sept. 1 61 Nov. 1st 55 Dec. 25th
Sept. 1st and Nov. 1st Celebration Timeline

Completely ignoring Thanksgiving (for now), this timeline still shorts Christmas by 6 days.

Bringing Thanksgiving back into the mix, many people believe that Christmas should start after Thanksgiving. Which, mathematically, makes sense!

Halloween Days Between Thanksgiving Days Between Christmas
Oct. 31 22-28 Nov. 22-28 27-33 Dec. 25
Number of days between each holiday

This table shows a (relatively) similar interval between Halloween and Thanksgiving compared to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Obviously, the intervals change based on when Thanksgiving takes place, and some years are better than others.

Okay! Now that we have done the math let’s go into the social aspect. The problem from here lies in the fact that people don’t care.

Some people prefer Halloween, some people prefer Christmas and some even prefer Thanksgiving. Of course excitement is going to vary from person to person.

My solution? Just let people celebrate their own holidays.

It’s the holiday season, get excited for what you want to be excited for, and let others do the same. Let’s just be happy for each other.

Jessica (or Jessie) and is a contributor for Bradley U's Chapter of Her Campus and an Advertising and Public Relations major at Bradley University. She loves writing a good listicle. Jessie is on the Bradley Her Campus social media team, the Bradley Speech team, and is involved in various other extracurriculars. When not running around loving her busy schedule: she enjoys reading a good fiction book, biking, sudoku, creating fake websites and flyers, and doing various little craft projects. Jessie is passionate about the power of communication and loves to write - hopefully you like to read! :)