Don’t Worry Darling – the drama and the love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Don’t Worry Darling has been one of the most anticipated movies of this year.  Between the star-studded cast,  rumors of hookups, and drama between cast and crew, this movie has been in the spotlight for quite some time – for better and for worse.  

Set in a utopian 1950’s society, Don’t Worry Darling is a psychological thriller about one-sided love and a desired, yet unattainable, reality.  Jack, played by Harry Styles, and Alice, played by Florence Pugh, are seen as the perfect couple in their community.  However, despite their seemingly perfect relationship, there is a secret Jack is hiding from Alice that can alter her life – inside and outside of their relationship.  Both leads and supporting characters do an amazing job of creating a world you never want to leave, despite the scary reality behind it.

Harry Styles has been in the spotlight since his days in One Direction however, he has become one of the hottest stars in Hollywood since the release of his second album, Fine Line, in 2019.  As a devout Harry Styles fan, I was eager to see him in his second movie, especially since he would be starring beside one of my favorite actresses, Florence Pugh.  Styles leapt into the world of acting in 2017, where he starred in Christopher Nolan’s award-winning drama, Dunkirk.  Although people were skeptical of his ability to perform in Don’t Worry Darling, his acting skills rival his Grammy-worthy singing.

Pugh and Styles have amazing chemistry on screen, especially when it comes to their forced love that they share for one another in this film.  Not only are they both amazing actors who became amazing friends while filming, there have also been rumors about their private hookups and relationship outside of filming.  There were also rumors that Styles was in a relationship with director and supporting actress Olivia Wilde, but nothing has been proven about either relationship.

Olivia Wilde and Florence Pugh have been rumored to be on the outs when they were seen ignoring each other at their premiere of Don’t Worry Darling, which took place at the Venice Film Festival.  Although we are completely unsure of any drama between the two stars, many speculate the reason for their distaste for one another comes from both relationships with Harry Styles.  

Styles and co-star Chris Pine have also been rumored to have unresolved issues with one another.  Almost everyone with social media has seen the video of Styles “spitting” on Chris Pine at the Venice Film Festival, although Styles made it clear that the video was misinterpreted.

The drama on set has become one of the main reasons that viewers have loved this movie.  It has given the movie an edge, because it caused a stir in the media that brought the movie more publicity.  Don’t Worry Darling became one of the most watched movies of 2022, and despite the negative reviews from critics, the general public loved the film.

Leah Reed

Bradley U '26

Freshman Television Arts major at Bradley University @_leahrreed on instagram