This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

When it was first announced that Harry Styles would star in “Don’t Worry Darling,” it became a highly anticipated movie for fans. Styles and Florence Pugh were seen together, and fans began to speculate that a friendship was starting to form. So, what happened for the two to go from friends to not even standing next to each other on the red carpet?

It started back in January 2020 when Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles started dating. The pair started dating about two months after Wilde split with fiancé Jason Sudeikis while filming “Don’t Worry Darling”. Styles and Wilde stayed together until August 2022 when fans started to speculate the two split.

It was smooth sailing for “Don’t Worry Darling” until April of 2022, when Wilde was served custody papers on behalf of Sudeikis while onstage promoting “Don’t Worry Darling”. This was only the beginning for the “Don’t Worry Darling” drama.

Fans started to notice that Pugh wasn’t promoting the movie on her story like she usually does. Pugh has been known to promote all the movies she is a part of, but “Don’t Worry Darling” was different. Pugh was avoiding promoting the movie, but no one knew why. Fans started speculating that something went down on set that made Pugh not want to promote the movie.

A few months later, Wilde came out with an article in Variety magazine. In the article, She claimed in order to protect her main actress, Pugh, she fired Shia Lebouf because he was a known abuser. That’s when a video was released which showed her begging Lebouf to come back, telling him she would try and get “Miss Flo” back on the same page.

Finally the Venice Film Festival arrived where it was confirmed Pugh, Wilde, Styles, Gemma Chan, and Chris Pine would all be present. At the Festival only Styles, Wilde, Pine, and Chan were at the press conference, which took place before the red carpet and premiere of the film. Wilde announced that Pugh couldn’t make it because of scheduling conflict, but was quickly proven wrong when Pugh landed in Venice halfway through the conference. 

Just a few hours later, the red carpet and the film showing happened. On the red carpet Styles and Wilde didn’t arrive, stand near or talk to each other. Pugh didn’t stand next to, or talk to either of them. Chan and/or Pine were always used as buffers between the three. This made it very obvious to fans that something had happened between the cast, and none of them really wanted to be there.

Inside the theater for the premiere, Styles bent down to sit while Pine also leaned down weirdly, which made fans speculate that Styles spit on Pine. When in reality it was just poor timing on both parties. The rumors spread so quickly that both Styles’ and Pine’s teams had to deny the rumor, but it led to quite a lot of memes.

“Don’t Worry Darling” ended up with a 4 minute standing ovation at the film festival. It was cut short because Pugh walked out of the auditorium, for reasons unknown, before everyone was finished clapping. The entire film has been surrounded by drama, and it will be interesting to see how the film does when it comes out September 23. 

Follow me on Instagram @courtneyywhitee_ Bradley 2024