Wellness

Boosting That Self-Esteem All Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

According to the National Organization for Women, 53% of American girls are unhappy with their bodies, and this grows to 78% by the time girls reach seventeen. 

I have struggled with body confidence. My biggest insecurities used to be how my stomach looked in certain dresses and I always compared my arms to chicken legs. But, I am writing this to help you trash those insecurities and embrace your body. 

Building confidence is not easy to progress because there will be some days where you might not be feeling yourself, but trust me those days are normal. We all have bad days, but that doesn’t mean we talk down on our appearance. 

Something that helped me build confidence over the years was body positive affirmations. Whenever I would wear something cute, I would hype myself up to feel good about myself. There is nothing wrong with complimenting yourself. Other examples of body-positive affirmations are “you look good girl,” or “wow my body looks amazing.” 

Another way I was able to build my confidence is to just take a variety of pictures of me feeling myself. This is a great way to look back on photos where you felt beautiful when you are having an “off” day. 

So, here are my words of encouragement for the summer; if you want to show your stomach in that crop top, wear it! If you think the dress or outfit doesn’t look right on you, buy it because anything you wear, you wear with confidence! Love your fupa and most importantly love yourself!

Kianna Goss

Bradley U '22

Hi my name is Kianna, I am a journalism major with a double minor in sociology and advertising with public relations. I enjoy creative writing, traveling, and trying out new recipes.
Allison is the Campus Correspondent and the Founder of the Bradley University chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior at Bradley majoring in Journalism and Social Media Marketing with a minor in Management & Leadership. In her free time she enjoys baking, hiking, or curling up on the couch with her cats.