This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Once a year, in the month of March, we magnify the study, observance and celebration of the vital role women have played in history and in society today. As women, we recognize this celebration and reflect on our history. There are many ways you can be involved in the celebration and be an advocate for women in our society and community. 

1. Educate – Knowledge is Power!

One way to be an activist for women is to educate yourself to better understand the struggles, trials and tribulations women have encountered for us today to hold our place in society. We can then learn from our history to continue and improve our movement to give women the recognition they deserve. Visit womenshistory.org to browse biographies, articles and exhibits and learn more about the women who have carved the path for us today. Being an educated woman will help to educate the women in generations to come.

2. Use your Voice

With the access to the media we have today, it is much easier to communicate, connect with others and share information than ever before. With that being said, you can use your social platforms as an opportunity to educate others on the importance of women in society and how we can collectively do better to celebrate them. Using personal experiences and knowledge can show others how you are actively learning and empowering women. Being vocal will encourage other women to follow in your footsteps and spread knowledge and empowerment to the minds of women.

3. Support Women Business Owners

Because of the pandemic, there are not many events or opportunities to attend in order to participate in the celebration of women. One way to actively get out in your community and society to celebrate women is to support women-owned businesses. Many businesses have switched to online shopping which is also a great resource to actively support during a pandemic. Women business owners are proven strong leaders, as women in business have not always been an accepted role and are still not accepted by some. Use the website womenowenedlogo.com to find an abundance of women-owned businesses who need our support.

4. Be Kind to Your Fellow Women Peers and Neighbors

We as women must uplift one another, spread kindness and offer support. Kindness can go a long way. Some examples to amplify empowerment between women is to compliment each other. If you see one of your fellow peers wearing a cute outfit, rocking a new haircut or wearing a pair of fresh new sneakers, tell them that you notice and extend a compliment. Spreading compliments to other women can help demonstrate we are an ally, can bring about happiness and boost their confidence. 

5. Thank the Previous Generations of Women Within your Family

If you are lucky enough to have older generations of women in your life such as a mother, grandmother, aunts or any woman caretaker, offer them a thank you. As society improves its appreciation of women, it hasn’t always been so appreciative as it is today. Many women that have come before us have struggled in ways we are not aware of. Whether it was in the workplace, during the journey of motherhood, pursuing education, fighting within the justice system or just day-to-day living – women decades ago have struggled. In many aspects, it has been made easier and that’s because the women before us have paved the way for future generations. So, offer them a thank you to show our appreciation for the struggles and sacrifices they have made as a woman to benefit our future.

Alivia Adkins

Bradley U '22

Hello! I am a senior at Bradley University graduating in the Fall of 2021. I am studying marketing with experience in sales. I got started with HerCampus because I have a love for writing and also a passion for empowering women.
Allison is the Campus Correspondent and the Founder of the Bradley University chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior at Bradley majoring in Journalism and Social Media Marketing with a minor in Management & Leadership. In her free time she enjoys baking, hiking, or curling up on the couch with her cats.