Red Roses Heart Cookie
Red Roses Heart Cookie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Valentine’s Day Gift & Date Ideas Based on the 5 Love Languages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

If you don’t want to sit in a packed restaurant with everyone else celebrating Valentine’s Day or don’t want to get your valentine the same gift that everyone else is getting, try these more personalized ideas for Valentine’s Day based on your partner’s love language. In an article by Psychology Today, according to author Gary Chapman, there are five love languages. Our “love language” describes how we receive love from others.

They are: 

Quality Time – Spending meaningful time with your partner

Words of Affirmation – Saying supportive things to your partner

Acts of Service – Doing helpful things for your partner

Receiving Gifts – Giving your partner gifts that tell them you were thinking about them

Physical Touch – Being close to and caressed by your partner”

Quality Time

If you or your partner’s love language is quality time try an intimate activity date like a pottery class where you can spend time together and learn a new skill.

Words of affirmation

If your partner’s love language is words of affirmation, set aside some time to write your partner a letter full of affirming words to express your love to let them know that you care.

Acts of service

If your partners love language is acts of service, you could create a coupon book to gift to them full of things that you could do for them that would make their day a little easier.

Receiving Gifts

If your partner’s love language is receiving gifts, create a personalized gift basket full of things that you know they’ll love. Whether it includes fuzzy socks, gift cards, sports items, or their favorite chocolates, it’s all up to you.

Physical Touch

If you or your partner’s love language is physical touch and you love being close to your partner create an at-home spa day for you and your partner. You could do face masks together, manicures, and massages.

Jasmine Adkins

Bowling Green '22

My name is Jasmine and I am a fourth year student at Bowling Green State University. I am majoring in Visual Communication Technology where I study print, interactive media, videography, and photography. In my free time I enjoy photography, hanging out with my friends, and anything related to fashion or personal care.