TOP 10 BEST AND WORST OUTFITS FROM THE MET GALA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

The theme of the 2021 Met Gala was “American Independence,” and after a long year in quarantine with COVID restrictions, many people were ecstatic to see some of their favorite celebs turn it up and slay some looks. These are my opinions on who absolutely served looks at the met and who missed the mark.

TOP TEN OF THE NIGHT:

• Kehlani – Kehlani turned up in a stunning two piece matching set, the top being a cropped blazer and the bottoms being a beautiful pair of high wasted pants. We can all agree that she sparkled throughout the night, and the matching mask was a great accessory.
  • Hunter Schafer – Hunter showed up in a beautiful sliver maxi skirt with matching crop top from Prada. The look gave me all the futuristic vibes, and I loved it. The makeup was especially astounding to me, and the white contacts in her eyes gave a spooky vibe yet I couldn’t look away.
  • Emily Ratajkowski – Emily was wearing a beautiful red lace gown with a large one shoulder piece. I personally loved the silhouette of the dress and how well it hugged her figure. The lace gloves she had were also a beautiful and unique touch. Lots of other celebs wore the color red, but the way Emily presented her dress was outstanding!
  • Michaela Coel – Michaela was covered in beautiful royal blue sequins all over from Balenciaga. Her piece was an off the shoulder jumpsuit that went all the way down to connect to a beautiful sequin heel.
  • Cara Delevingne – Cara looked beautiful and dared to be controversial with her look while wearing Christan Dior, and I am extremely impressed.
  • Kendall Jenner – Miss Kendall served looks as always! If there is one celeb I can count on every year, it’s her. She was dripping in diamonds from Givenchy, and don’t even get me started on the shoulder pads! I’m OBSESSED!
  • Symone – Let me just say how happy I am that a Ru Paul’s Drag Race winner attended the iconic Met Gala and served absolute looks! Looking like a bar of gold, Symone came dressed to impress. The color on her was breath taking and I hope to see more drag queens at the Met Gala!
  • Emily Blunt – Emily came in dressed as a celestial goddess. Out of everyone, I feel that she encapsulated the theme the best while still looking classy.
  • Imman Hammam – I love how Imman had the star cut outs on her dress. The stars forming the silhouette of her dress and the large opening of the dress was just studs were so stunning. Her dress was very elegant while still sticking to the theme, and I personally loved it. I also loved her matching silver shoes!
  • Grimes – One word. ICONIC!! I’m not even going to lie, when I was looking at the outfits, I let out a squeal in the Starbucks line on campus because Grimes looked absolutely BREATHTAKING! From the ombré train, to the sword, to the mask, to the hair, the shoes, the everything! I’m in love. This was definitely one of my favorites from the night.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

• Donatella Versace – I loved her white poofy dress with gold embellishments, the corset topped dress, and her belt.
  • Megan Fox – Apart from the clip on bangs, I enjoyed Megan’s look! Especially the red lace up sparkly dress with the high slit. It looked so gorgeous. She is truly forever young.
  • Megan Rapinone wearing Sergio Hudson – The pantsuit. Iconic. The “in gay we trust” clutch. ICONIC. And the fact that she was very on theme, I-C-O-N-I-C!!!!!
  • Serena Williams – The long feather coat with the train and the silver flower embellished jumpsuit was gorgeous. Although it didn’t feel on theme to me, I still enjoyed her look.
  • Lil Nas X (yes, all three iconic outfits) – I can’t decide what was better, the reveals he did or the different outfits. Regardless, all three outfits were a serve for Lil Nas X. My personal favorite of the three has to be the full gold body armor suit. I can’t imagine how heavy all of those outfits must of been or how hot he must of felt!

WORST OF THE NIGHT

• Any man who showed up in a plain black and white suit – Come on guys! It’s the Met Gala, I know you can do better than that!
  • Kid Cudi– I understand that his whole vibe can be perceived as camp, but I really did not understand this outfit. To me, it looked like he got dressed in the dark at 4 am and then smacked some black shadow on and called it a look. However, I do appreciate that he didn’t wear a basic suit like many of the other men.
  • CL – I’m not the biggest fan of the look. To me, it just looks like two XXL denim jackets tied together with a pair of granny panties.
  • Kim Kardashian – I understood her concept of showing up in an outfit that doesn’t even show her facial features but only shows her silhouette, so that people would be like “omg thats Kim” because of her body and figure. But I personally did not love it and I expected more from the fashion queen herself.
  • Frank Ocean – The doll. That’s all I have to say.
  • Justin and Hailey Bieber – Basic, honestly. It’d be cute for date night but for the Met Gala? And it wasn’t on theme.
  • Addison Rae – I heard that she borrowed Kourtney’s dress from 2018? I know the fact that she was invited is a big controversy, but personally I don’t think her look was impressive.
  • Madison Beer – She is gorgeous obviously, but her dress gave serious 2012 Prom vibes.
  • Kim Petras – The horse head???? Why???? Maybe I just don’t get it.
  • Naomi Osaka – It would have been PERFECT for the camp theme in 2019. But for the theme this year, I felt that it unfortunately missed the mark.

OVERALL OPINIONS

Overall, I feel that this Met Gala was a miss with not many celebrities understanding the theme or the assignment. I was disappointed, especially since there was no Met Gala in 2020 due to COVID. I expected a lot from these celebrities. I wanted them to really pull through and show off some of their best fashion statements, while still correlating to the theme. What’s your opinion on the Met Gala 2021? Were you disappointed or pleased?

Amanda Chapman

Bowling Green '25

I have a passion for fashion! I currently model for NV models and talent up in Cincinnati Ohio. I am your fashion forward friend and hope you enjoy my tips and tricks on fashion!!