RECENT READS: CAROLYN’S READING RECOMMENDATIONS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

I have recently gotten back onto my reading grind, and I couldn’t be happier. Getting my iPad has helped me so much with furthering my reading goals. On my iPad, I use the app “Libby” which connects to my library card so I can access so many books! If you love reading and don’t have access to your home library while at school, I 100% recommend downloading this app! 

There will be no spoilers for the books in this article! 

The Inheritance Games

Starting off strong, this book got me out of my summer reading slump. I felt like I was sprinting through the pages. If you are looking for a book that keeps you on the edge of your seat, this is the one for you. Author Jeniffer Lynn Barnes keeps you invested, ending each chapter with a cliffhanger. Reading this at night is a no-go because you WILL want to keep reading and stay up all night (totally not speaking from experience…). Aesthetic-wise, if you are a fan of “Knives Out,” you will absolutely eat this up like I did. It is so similar, primarily based around the inheritance of a rich man given to a stranger named Avery Kylie Grambs. The book uncovers the reason why Avery received this inheritance and reveals the family’s darker secrets and mysteries in the process. 

The Silent Patient

Another strong book to add to your “to-be-read” list is The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. I got through this book in one day. If you are looking for something that will keep you on the edge of your seat, this book is for you. I was fully invested in the characters’ lives and arcs, so much so that the plot twist left me staring at my bedroom wall for five minutes at 3 a.m. This is a quick-paced, chilling book to pick up if you are interested in a psychological thriller!

The Guest List 

The Guest List by Lucy Foley is a must-read if you are a fan of murder mystery and thriller genres. This book takes place on an island in Ireland, so you can pretend to do different accents as you read or listen to an audiobook on Libby as I did. “The Guest List” entails a murder that takes place during a wedding off the coast of Ireland. This book has so many twists and turns that leaves you questioning who your suspects are. This book is also multi-perspective so you really get to know each one of the characters and their motives. If you are a fan of mystery thrillers, this book is for you!

The Cloisters

Diving into my more recent fall reads, “The Cloisters” by Katy Hays was a very good aesthetic read. If you are a fan of Harry Potter, astrology, tarot, or gardening, you NEED to read this book. Right now. This book got me in such a fall mood. I will say that parts of this book move very slowly, but you need to stick with it. I loved the ending and overall, thought this was the perfect book to introduce this fall season. 

Daisy Darker

“Daisy Darker” by Alice Feeney is the perfect murder mystery. This one is also a quick read. Put this audiobook on while doing your nails, cleaning, or coloring and you will be entertained for hours. The story takes place in Cornwall and is based on the premise of family members being murdered one by one. Daisy tries to solve these murders before she becomes the next victim. The story takes place on Halloween, and the overall aesthetic of the book is perfect for fall! I enjoyed reading this book; however, there are some intense topics mentioned, so make sure you read the trigger warnings before diving in!

That’s all for now! I hope you enjoyed hearing about some of my recent reads and that you add some of these to your own reading list!

Carolyn Engle

Bowling Green '26

Carolyn Engle is a sophomore studying AYA Integrated Social Studies Education at BGSU. She spends her free time reading, writing, hanging out with friends, baking, and listening to music. She is a huge fan of Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, & Olivia Rodrigo!