This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

My opinions on classic rock are possibly biased, they are probably completely based off of my parents music taste. I grew up listening to this music, it was rare that 70s and 80s music wasn’t playing on my drive to elementary school everyday. While I have branched out in music genres, classic rock still remains my #1.

There are going to be some really basic albums on this list, ones that make you say “Did she just google ‘Classic Rock Albums’ and pick the first ones to show up?” They are well known for a reason, and if I’m one thing, I’m a follower! There also might be a few albums that you would never consider close to the top 20, but this is all subjective. This article started as the top 10 classic rock albums, but I couldn’t choose just 10 so I made it 15. 15 was still too low, so here are the top 20 classic rock albums of all time.

20. A new world record by Electric light orchestra

Starting off extremely strong, we have ELO’s 7th album. I chose this one out of all 15 of their albums for a few reasons. First of all, “Livin’ Thing”. Need I say more? That alone should convince you that this album needs a spot in the top 20. Other than the absolute work of art that is Livin’ Thing, this album has so many underrated songs. “Telephone Line” is one of my favorite ELO songs, and it seems like nobody knows it. It still has the Beatles Influence that their early albums all possess, but this is right when they started to branch out more with sound and technology, which is nothing short of astonishing.

19. Foreigner by Foreigner

Choosing a Foreigner album for this list was really hard, but I knew they needed to be here. This was their first studio album, and it has some of their greatest songs. “Cold as Ice” and “Feels like the First Time” sold this album for me. It seems like every Foreigner album has some really great songs, but this one just has that classic Foreigner feel, which makes it their best, in my opinion.

18. Dynasty by KISS

This album is their most popular for a reason! It opens with “I Was Made for Loving You” and closes with “Save Your Love”. What more could you ask for? I’ll be honest, KISS isn’t really my style, but I do find myself listening to this album more than their others. Plus, it would just be cruel to not include KISS somewhere in this ranking.

17. Metallica by Metallica

Enter Sandman. That’s it.

16. The Stranger by Billy Joel

This is one of the only albums on this list where I know every single song. While Billy Joel has so many great albums, this one has the most hits and the best sound. It has “Scenes From an Italian Restaurant” and “Vienna”, which are my two favorite Billy Joel songs, so it just made sense to pick this one. “Movin’ Out” is a classic, and you’re lying if you say you don’t sing along when you hear it. “She’s Always a Woman”, “Only the Good Die Young”, I could go on and on, but you get the point.

15. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie

This album is the epitome of David Bowies music. This album tells the story of “Ziggy Stardust”, who is Bowie’s alien alter ego. It has a few amazing mainstream songs like “Starman” and “Moonage Daydream”, but it also contains some experimental work, like “It Ain’t Easy”. It also has “Ziggy Stardust”, which is his best song, in my opinion. This album has that classic Bowie sound, and it is such a fun concept. It was Bowie’s breakthrough album for a reason.

14. The Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles

I would not classify some Beatles songs as classic rock at all, but this album has the most ‘rock sound’ that the Beatles have ever made. It is easy to tell that this is some of the Beatles later work, as it is more experimental, some would even say psychedelic. “I Am the Walrus” and “Baby You’re a Rich Man” stick out to me most on this album, and those are two of the Beatles most rock-sounding songs. The Beatles managed to make rock music on this album that doesn’t sound aggressive, but is still energetic. Plus, we can’t ignore “Strawberry Fields Forever”. Everyone loves that song.

13. Sheer Heart Attack by Queen

While this is not one of Queens most popular albums, in my opinion, it is one of their greatest. If you disagree, go listen to “Killer Queen” and then see how you feel. Queen’s early music was rock in its purest form, with mystical and celestial elements scattered throughout. Also, we can’t forget about the monumental “Stone Cold Crazy”, one of Queens most hard rock songs. This album also has the extremely underrated “In the Lap of the Gods”, which if you haven’t heard, you need to change that now!

12. Dr. Feel-good by Motley CrUe

When I think of Motley Crue, I think of that MTV hair metal sound that people go crazy for. Dr. Feelgood is all that and more. I love that this album tells the story of Nikki Sixx’s struggle with drug addiction and his experience going through rehab. This album has the type of songs that give you an adrenaline rush just from listening to them: “Same Old Situation”, “Kickstart My Heart”, “Sticky Sweet”, and of course, “Dr. Feelgood”.

11. Back in Black by AC/DC

Would this even be a classic rock ranking if I didn’t include AC/DC? Back in Black is AC/DC’s 7th album, and it is obviously their best, in my opinion. While it doesn’t have the iconic “Thunderstruck”, it still has “You Shook Me All Night Long”, and “Back in Black”. Besides the great music, I love the story behind this album. AC/Dc’s former singer, Bon Scott, had recently passed away, and this album is about overcoming that tragedy. These songs are known for their indelible riffs which had a huge influence on rock music at it’s time (or so I’ve heard. I don’t know, I wasn’t born then) so I had to include this quintessential work.

10. Toys in the Attic by Aerosmith

I’m not gonna lie to you, my first introduction to Aerosmith was the Rockin’ Roller Coaster at Disney World. Is that bad? Regardless, it makes me love their music so much more. This album has some of Aerosmith’s greatest songs. Even though “Walk This Way” is a very basic Aerosmith song, it is my favorite. This album is so energetic and lively, and it has “Sweet Emotion”, so that’s an automatic win.

9. Tattoo You by the Rolling Stones

I think my family would shun me if I didn’t include The Rolling Stones in this article. But, lucky for them, I absolutely love this album. I actually had a really hard time picking an album, it came down to this one and Aftermath, which are actually two drastically different albums. Tattoo You was made in 1981, while Aftermath was made in 1966. While I do love Aftermath, Tattoo You is just more classic rock. This album has some great rock anthems like “Start Me Up”, but it also has more mellow, meaningful songs like “Waiting On a Friend”. The fascinating duality on this album has earned it a spot in the top 10.

8. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John

This album has it all. There’s rock songs like “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” and everyone’s favorite, “Bennie and the Jets”. There’s rich, slow songs like “Candle in the Wind”, “I’ve Seen That Movie Too”, and the albums title song, “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”. There’s even some experimental work, such as “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”. It also has several underrated songs like “Grey Seal” and “Dirty Little Girl”. I could sit here for hours and list all the great things about every song, but I suggest you just go give it a listen.

7. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac

You seriously don’t want to get me started on how much I love this album. For your sake, I’ll keep it short. This album is nothing short of magical, spiritual even. From start to finish, it will make you laugh, dance, cry, dance again, and consider if Stevie Knicks used her witchcraft to make this music incredible. Maybe I’m being dramatic, but this is just such a great album, there’s not much else I can say.

6. Eagles by Eagles

This was a hard decision, and you might be surprised that I didn’t pick the album that contains “Hotel California”. While I think that song is quintessential to classic rock today, this album is overall better than Hotel California is. This album has more Eagles classic’s like “Take it Easy” and “Peaceful Easy Feeling”. I’m not sure if the rest of the world love’s “Witchy Woman” as much as I do, but that alone made me want to give this album a spot on my list.

5. All things must pass by George Harrison

George Harrison is classic rock’s best kept secret. The former Beatle has so many different albums with so many different vibes to them, this album is the best by far. It was definitely made during his hippie era, which makes it all the more better. There are so many reasons to love this album, and it is criminally underrated, but to be fair, George has always been the forgotten Beatle. Most people know the song “My Sweet Lord”, and that alone is beautiful. Some of you may know the albums title song “All Things Must Pass”, a dreamy, relaxing melody with a hippie-George feel. This album is rich. Most of the songs are tranquil and calming, making you want to cry or fall asleep. Or both. Honestly, I just love the message of this whole album. The idea is that every feeling, every moment, good or bad, will pass, so you might as well relax and let it happen. A few of the songs still contain some Beatles influence, like “Wah-Wah”, so it’s reasonable to say that this album has everything you could ever want.

4. Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan

If you’re gonna tell me that Bob Dylan isn’t classic rock, I don’t wanna hear it! This album is nothing short of astonishing, and while it might not be the most hard-rock music you’ve ever heard, it is still classic rock, and it deserves it’s number 4 spot. Every song on this album is different, even though most of them have a harmonica solo. There is so much diversity in mood and tune, each song tells a different story. If you were to listen to this album all the way through, it is guaranteed that at least one of the songs will touch your soul. I don’t think that any other artist will ever be able to create a masterpiece like Blonde on Blonde.

3. The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

Alright, enough with my hot takes, we’re back to the basics. There is not a single bad thing to say about this album. This is the kind of work that you listen to the first time and say “That was really weird and I’m not sure I like it.”, and then you listen again and say “Okay, it’s growing on me”, and by the third time, you are in love. It is full of experimental moments and songs, but every experiment is a success. There is really no way to describe how this album sounds or feels, you just need to experience it for yourself. Overall, this album is utterly insane, but at the same time, a fascinating work of art.

2. Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin

This album is so high on my list because of the song “Stairway to Heaven”. I know I know, so basic, I don’t care. I absolutely love the way this song builds up, and when it reaches the guitar solo, it makes you feel like you are transcending the space-time continuum. Even without that song, this album is still great. I really think it is the epitome of classic rock, it encompasses every aspect of a great classic rock album perfectly. Robert Plant really outdid himself with the lyrics, they have so many different meanings and perspectives. Every lyric, every note, every guitar riff has you on the edge of your seat, wanting more. There is a reason this album is their most popular.

1. A Night At The Opera by Queen

This is such an incredibly biased pick for the number one spot, but I told you this is all opinion based! I love Queen. They have such a different energy than any other artist at the time. A Night at the Opera is every single favorable aspect of Queen packed into 12 songs. It has the mystical and unique aura that their early albums all possess, it has the rock sound of their later albums, it is the perfect medium of everything great that Queen has ever done. I don’t have to tell you that “Bohemian Rhapsody” is a masterpiece that is ahead of it’s time, you already know that. There is soft rock songs, like “’39”, and “Love of my Life”. It has hard rock songs like “Death on Two Legs” and “The Prophet’s Song”. And for the record, I really like “I’m In Love With My Car”. The songwriting is unlike anything I have ever heard and every single song is a story within itself. Queen took a huge chance on releasing such a unique album, and it seriously paid off.

Olivia Garver

Bowling Green '26

Olivia is a Communication major with a minor in Business at Bowling Green State University. She is a second year student, and along with being involved in HerCampus, she is also involved in communication and organizations and greek life.