This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

top Self-Help podcasts and episodes hosted by black women

November marks the last month before we transition into the holiday season (I know y’all see them putting up the Christmas sections in the stores already). In preparation for the “winter blues” I thought it might be helpful to explore some ways in which to develop a positive mindset. I’ve recently found a newfound love for self-help podcasts as a way to Nourish My Mind and I wanted to share some of my favorites with y’all. Even better these podcasts are made by black women for black women! Although, I think we could all stand to learn a lesson or two from these enlightened sistas ;)

for The Healty Ho*s

First up, we have my personal favorite hosted by Ri Turner. She describes her podcasts as, “A space dedicated to providing resourceful wellness information via casual + everyday chats about mindfulness, intentionality, and self-awareness.” I can confirm, this is a very casual podcast. She is like that one friend who tells it how it is, with no filter, giving you advice (you probably didn’t want to hear) that is much needed. And at this point she is basically my bestie and can be yours too!

Check out these episodes:

• emotional intelligence
  • bad b*tches have bad days too (A tribute to Thee Stallion herself, if you will)
The Girls That Get it, Get it. The Girls That Don’t, Need to Stream Anxiety by Megan Thee Stallion
  • social media is not the enemy, you are

for the healthy hoes. • A podcast on Anchor

Black Girl FLOW

Black Girl Flow Podcast (anchor.fm)

This podcast is hosted by Lexi and Livi, two black women who met in college and have been best friends ever since. They describe their podcast, “a space for the twenty-something-year-old’s that still hasn’t figured out this whole “adulting” thing.” These two have the most adorable platonic relationship, the kind that makes you wonder, “If you’re not like this with your bestie than are they really your bestie?!”

Some of my favorite recent segments include:

• 87|The Art of Chill – How to Stay Unbothered
  • 86| Living in Your Purpose and Aligning with Your Highest Self
  • 85| Having Grace in Adult Friendships

the black girl Bravado

https://www.theblackgirlbravado.com/ Exclusively on Spotify as of Nov.1

Recent Episode Recommendations:

• 266|What the Health (Part Four): Exploring Self-Pleasure See Also: The truth about faking orgasms
  • 260|Sharpening Your Tools (Part Two) The Art of Small Talk
  • 257|How Unconditional is Love?

Therapy for black girls

https://therapyforblackgirls.com/

As mentioned in the clip above, this podcast is hosted by licensed psychologist, Dr. Joy Harden Brandford. However, it is NOT meant to be a replacement for professional help, just a step in the right direction. That said, go get some REAL therapy sis!! Although, in the meantime you should check out these episodes:

• Session 274: Black Women in Film & TV
  • Session 277: Cultivating Friendships in Adulthood
  • Session 272: Navigating Academia as a Black Woman

TO MY SISTERS,

Let me just say, I love BLACK women; I love ALL women. But black women from the UK…. they hold a special place in my heart. And that alone gets this a podcast 10/10 recommendation from me. Not to mention, the hosts, Courtnee and Renee, refer to themselves as “your online big sisters” which I absolutely adore (makes me feel like family).

Some recent episodes I recommend checking out are:

• Is FOMO killing the sisters: Being a ‘Late Bloomer’ and Dealing with Insecurities
  • The Ugly Side of Friendship – Cutting People Off, Hard Seasons and Dealing with Change
  • Being You Unapologetically: The Art of Self-discovery, Confidence, and Authenticity

http://www.tomysisters.com

“Best friends are important. They’re the closest thing to a sister you’ll ever have.”

Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty

You may notice a common theme of friendship amongst my selections. I just want to take a minute to emphasize the huge impact that healthy friendships (even if you just have one really good friend) can have on your journey to self-improvement. Although, what is most essential is developing a good friendship with yourself.

Also, I would like to note that while I chose these particular podcasts & episodes because they resonate with my own experience as a black woman, you should not be discouraged from listening for any reason. I promise you, there is something here for the benefit of everyone. These ladies touch on all of kinds of topics! I am positive that you can find something that resonates with your own experience or at the very least better understand others.

Most importantly, I want you all to remember that when it comes to your mind, Nourishing is No Rushing! Self-improvement takes time, bad habits die hard man. Although, everyone’s journey is different; it may be long before you come into your best self or change may come easily. Either way, be patient with yourself and happy listening!

Kayla Lattany

Bowling Green '25

Hey y’all! My name is Kayla Lattany. I am 18 years old and in my second year at Bowling Green. I haven’t stopped being the most indecisive person on the planet long enough to decide what I would like to major in (decisions, decisions). Although, I am very interested in communications and writing so I'm very excited to be apart of Her Campus!