This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Up until very recently, I struggled to find what type of music I was actually interested in. As a result, I would find myself sitting in silence in the car on long drives home and neglecting to bring my headphones to class or even the gym. Throughout my entire life, I have always been exposed to music in some way. My mom being a music teacher, it was important for her that her children experience music in some way. My parents took my siblings and me to Music Garden when we were kids, and I even took piano lessons for seven years.

This disconnect with music has never made sense to me.

Throughout my years of high school, I found myself constantly mirroring whatever music my peers listened to. Whether this was “liking” a certain genre of music to impress a guy, or feeling inclined to like a certain artist in order to fit in. As I have grown away from these people and matured in a variety of ways since getting to college, I’ve slowly expanded my range in music.

When someone would ask me what type of music I listen to or like, I always struggled to give them a direct answer. As cliché as “I listen to a little bit of everything sounds,” it rings true for me.

In this article, I will take you through some of my favorite songs and artists in no particular order. I have found myself open to a variety of genres, never wanting to rule an artist out just because they’re new to me.

mY LIST: A SMALL INSIGHT

#1 Cage the elephant – come a little closer

Cage the Elephant is considered an American rock band, formed in 2006. Some of the genres they cover include alternative rock, indie rock, and psychedelic rock. I feel so deeply when I hear this song, as it takes me through a range of feelings; empowered, sad, or remorseful. Overall, I find this band to be extremely talented, capturing the fluidity of relationships and the shared journey through life’s complexities. 

#2 M.I.A – PAPER PLANES

Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam is known by her stage name M.I.A. She is considered to be a rapper, who incorporates elements of alternative, dance, and hip-hop in her music. Not only do I enjoy her music, but I appreciate the way she utilizes her platform to speak on refugee rights and the cost of armed conflicts. Paper Planes makes me feel on top of the world as if I am in a music video of my own. I like to play this song when I’m doing my makeup and getting ready for a night out with the girls.

#3 TRIPPIE REDD – TOPANGA

Trippie Redd is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter. The genres he covers include hip-hop, emo rap, and trap music. During my freshman year of college, I had the opportunity to see Trippie Redd in concert at Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls. This experience only elevated my love for Trippie’s music, as I could feel the passion he holds for his fans and music. Topanga evokes an image of love and salvation while incorporating samples of the gospel song, It Ain’t Over by Maurette Brown Clark. Overall, this song is another that I enjoy playing when planning a night out with friends. It gets my head bobbing and puts me in a better, more positive mood. 

#4 KISS – I WAS MADE FOR LOVIN’ YOU

KISS was an American rock band formed in New York City in 1973, known for their face paint and stage outfits. Genres that they covered include hard rock, heavy metal, and glam metal. As the title of this song suggests, I Was Made For Lovin’ You is about a deep and passionate love between two people who were meant to be together. This song hypes me up, instantly calling me to bang my head, tap my hands, and scream the lyrics. I always hope that this song comes on when out with friends or a group of people, as I can’t wait to shout the lyrics for everyone to hear. 

#5 PEEZY – COMMON WEALTH

Peezy is a Detroit rapper and hip-hop artist, known for his defiant lyrics and abrasive flow. I can’t help but bop my head to Common Wealth, as it incorporates a steady beat that influences me to get hyped up. This song dives into Peezy’s life experiences and struggles. I can appreciate the clever lyrics he incorporates like, “The dictionary might run out of words ‘fore I run out of bread” and “Keep the grass cut low so I can see the snakes.” Even if Peezy’s music isn’t for you, I think we can all appreciate his grind and dedication to making a better life for himself and those close to him. 

FINAL THOUGHTS:

This is just a short list of songs and artists that encapsulate the wide range of styles and genres I gravitate towards. At times, I feel anxious or embarrassed to admit that I enjoy certain genres of music. Writing this article has given me a sense of relief, as I know many people will read this and not agree with me. I like what I like, and you like what you like. I hope this encourages people to explore a variety of music, as you might be surprised at what resonates with you. 

Facts and references from Wikipedia and Genius | Song Lyrics & Knowledge

Lenox McConaughey

Bowling Green '25

My name is Lenox McConaughey, and I am currently a junior at Bowling Green State University, majoring in Graphic Design! I started off my education journey at The University of Akron my freshman year, but soon realized I was missing something in my college experience. Since I've transferred to BGSU, I have felt safe, secure, and welcomed! This year, I'm manifesting growing my connections and relationships. I was originally a Marketing major, however, I am still planning to minor in Business. In my free time, I enjoy journaling and drawing. I have recently become interested in meditating and I love anything involved with nature. I find it important to be in nature, even if it's going outside to feel the grass inbetween your toes. I spent this summer working two jobs! One of them consisted of an internship opportunity, while another was a job that I've held for over five years now. The internship allowed me to get a feel of the office environment, and I was also given the chance to design a few projects for them. This consisted of designing volunteer flyers, invitations and even a new employee handbook. Throughout these experiences, I have learned that I am a people person! I enjoy connecting with others as well as offering my help wherever I can.