5 Reasons You Should Take a Cross-Country Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Over the summer, I went on a variety of vacations and saw so many things! I traveled to Michigan with my boyfriend and drove across the United States to California with my family. This trip was very eye-opening for me and I recommend everyone tries a cross-country trip at some point! Here are my reasons why you should take this trip as well…

Beautiful Sites to See

Over the course of my month long vacation, I saw plenty of awesome places. Here are some of my favorites!

• Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
  • Traverse City, Michigan
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
  • Grand Canyon, Arizona
  • San Diego, California
  • Provo, Utah
  • Las Vegas, Nevada

Each location had a very different climate, enviroment, and vegetation that made every stop special. It was crazy to see how different it was from the midwest, specifically Ohio. One place that was very special and unique in its own way was Yellowstone National Park. It had many different types of flora and fauna which was truly why it was my favorite stop on the trip.

Eye-Opening Experience

This experience was truly eye-opening and changed the way I viewed the world. It was so humbling to have the opportunity to see so many amazing things that I usually just fly over in a plane. Another humbling aspect was to see how different and unique other people’s ways of everyday life are. One place in specific was a Native American land reservation in Montana. It was heartbreaking to see the way that these people live and experience life due to the way they have been mistreated. But at the same time, it made me realize that they were making the best out of their situation.

On a more positive note, I did a lot of really fun activities like hiking, swimming, golfing, and even crystal shopping in South Dakota! This whole experience really felt like a travel montage you would see in a movie.

Fantastic Food

I am truly a foodie at heart. One of the most amazing parts of this trip was all of the fantastic food I ate. My family and I usually ate at small, local-owned restaurants on our trip and they did not disappoint. These restaurants showcased their different cultures and stories through their food. There was also an abundance of vegetarian options, which is a necessity for a family with three vegetarians. One of my all-time favorite West Coast chain restaurant is In n’ Out. The milkshakes and animal-style french fries will keep me coming back to California for many years to come.

Strengthened Bonds

I truly recommend traveling with the people you love the most. You make so many unforgettable memories and grow even closer than you can imagine. Sure, being in a car with someone for hours on end is not ideal, but it makes for lots of laughs, love, and memories to be made.

Self-Discovery

While getting closer to those around me, I also learned so much about myself. I noticed things that evoked emotions in me, such as seeing animals in their natural habitat which made me really emotional. I also noticed that I felt peaceful and grounded because of the amount of time I was spending in nature and with the people I love the most. I am so grateful for the experience I had and how amazing it was. The world we live in is so unbelievably beautiful.

I urge all of you to travel and see this beautiful world and what it has to offer!

Cactus Flowers Plants California Hiking Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Haley Muter

Bowling Green '25

Hi! My name is Haley Muter! I am a chapter leader for HC at BGSU! I am a sophmore majoring in middle-childhood education, specifically language arts and social studies. I am also minoring in psychology. I write about many topics under the sun but, my favorite topics to write about are mental health, music, and environment-friendly things!