Life > Experiences

How the Disney College Program Changed my Life in < 1 Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Growing up, I genuinely cannot remember a time when Disney wasn’t a part of my life. Whether that was watching The Disney Channel, taking a family vacation, or dressing up as a princess to go grocery shopping with my mom. As I got older, my love for Disney continued to benefit me, as it heavily influenced my college major (hospitality management). I remember learning about the Disney College Program and thinking just how cool it would be to work for the company and give back to guests some of that Disney magic that was made for me all throughout my life. Considering how I needed a semester-long internship to graduate anyway, I decided to take the risk and apply. Doing so was one of the best decisions of my life. 

The most significant way the DCP has changed me (and what inspired this article) is how my social anxiety has tremendously decreased since being here and constantly interacting with new people every single day. Before coming here, I was very anxious about meeting new people in classes or student organizations, speaking with adults, and sometimes even ordering at a restaurant or coffee shop. However, I had a feeling that by throwing myself into a frontline position at Disney, where I’d be encountering thousands of guests daily, I would have to get used to it, and I was correct. The first week or so, I was still a little nervous to interact with guests, but now I absolutely love it! One of my favorite positions at work is getting to stand outside of the building and help give guests directions or answer any questions they may have. I also try to look for guests wearing buttons for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, or other celebrations- and wish them a happy birthday or congratulations, as it is an easy way to connect and start conversations. After all of this exposure therapy, I noticed that I no longer get jittery while ordering something to eat or drink, I enjoy making small talk at checkouts, and I LOVE going up to compliment random strangers because it makes both of our days a little brighter. 

Another thing the DCP has taught me is independence. While I have lived away from home before in a dorm, this is my first time living in an apartment. At first, it was all very intimidating- having to cook all my own meals for the first time and not having a car were my biggest worries. However, I have learned how to make simple meals, how to buy healthy and nutritious foods, and that having a roommate who can cook is a major plus. As for the transportation aspect, I take the bus an hour early to get to work to avoid arriving late, which may seem annoying some days, but I know I am building a good habit for the future with not only jobs but also being early and on time for classes and outings with my friends. 

This leads me to my final point: the DCP has tremendously helped me get into good routines. The first few weeks have revolved around getting settled in and figuring out my ways around- but now that I am on a more consistent schedule in terms of work hours and days off, I am ready to implement a good daily routine. Since I work the closing shifts and don’t go to work until the afternoon, I have all morning to sleep in, go to the gym, eat lunch, and get ready for work. Then, on my off days, I do maintenance-type things like laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, school work, and of course- going to the parks! With past jobs and even classes at school, every day was so different from the one before, so I am excited to continue to set myself up for success each and every day. 

study abroad spain barcelona palm trees beach summer sunny tropical
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Overall, the DCP has already done so much for my mental health. Being in the Sunshine State has significantly benefited me by avoiding the seasonal depression that I am subject to each year- and for the first time in my life, I feel that I am actually where I am meant to be and living the life I am supposed to be living. While I have been here for only three weeks, I have already seen such an improvement in my quality of life, and I am SO excited to see what the next few months have in store for me. If you made it this far, this is your sign to do the thing you’ve been hesitant to do because you never know- it may be the best thing to ever happen to you!

Natalie Yonker

Bowling Green '24

Natalie is a junior at BGSU majoring in tourism, hospitality, and event management and minoring in marketing. This semester, she is participating in the Disney College Program. She is an active member of Chaarg in addition to Her Campus. She's passionate about all things Disney, reading, jewelry making, journaling, and health and wellness.