Grace’s Media of the Month – February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Hello lovelies

February was just too short!!! I am in the throes of the semester at the moment, and finding time to spend in my hobbies has been difficult, but I was still able to watch/read/listen to some new stuff! Here is a little recap of all of the media I consumed during February.

Music

I’ve been in a single song kick this month. I’m trying to vary my listening and taking recommendations from friends too! I have recently been listening to a lot of Lana Del Rey, getting back into Niall Horan after his release of “Heaven,” and I’m still on my SZA grind. Oh, and SOUR by Olivia Rodrigo has been my shower playlist for the month :)

Top songs:
“Heaven” by Niall Horan
“Traitor” by Olivia Rodrigo
“Chemtrails Over The Country Club” by Lana Del Rey
“Reckless Driving by Lizzie McAlpine ft. Ben Kessler
“Seek & Destroy” by SZA
“Gone Girl” by SZA
“West Coast” by Lana Del Rey

Books

6/50

So I am using my Kindle and reading digitally here at college as it is easier to travel with and I feel I am able to read more books with the convenience of an ebook library. I am currently reading four books at the moment as they keep becoming available off of my holds list and I want to read them! Right now I am prioritizing reading Leigh Bardugo’s Hell Bent which is a sequel to her first book called The Ninth House. It is a fantasy, thriller, mystery series about Alex Stern, a student at Yale who gets entangled in the magical secret societies of the university and the adventure she goes on. Her story continues in Hell Bent and I am very excited to see how it plays out. I haven’t been a magical/fantasy girl since my obsession with Harry Potter back in elementary school, however, this series has been a fun jump back in time. I also have The Idiot by Elif Batuman, 1984 by George Orwell, and Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo on my shelf. The two books I did finish in February were titled Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid and Acts of Service by Lillian Fishman. I went into MIAL thinking it would be as great as The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo…but it was not. Acts of Service also fell short for me. I was disappointed with the conversations that were brought up about sexuality and queerness that seemed to go nowhere. Oh well.

Television

Any The Last of Us fans reading this right now? There’s one writing this article as we speak!!! Now six episodes deep and two mental breakdowns later, I am still intrigued and want to keep watching. My friends and I watched episode four together and it was the best thing we could’ve done. I won’t elaborate so I don’t spoil anything, but you should definitely watch this episode with a friend or multiple for optimal viewing! And as many girls like myself, I am now in love with Pedro Pascal. I hope you know what that means…Narcos!!!!! I am thoroughly enjoying watching Pedro fight drug traffickers in Colombia and practicing my Spanish skills at the same time. I also finished the first season of Only Murders in the Building with Selena Gomez on Hulu and I am hooked! I was bored midway through the first season but I picked it back up and now I’m halfway through season two. It is super funny and intriguing and I definitely recommend it.

Movies

39/100

I FINALLY got around to watching Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and I can easily say it is one of my top five Marvel movies. Rest easy Chadwick Boseman <3 A few more notable films were from my film history class: Sunset Boulevard and The Gold Diggers of 1933. I loved both of these, probably The Gold Diggers of 1933 more as it was quite funny, but both were great nonetheless. I also watched The Royal Tenenbaums and The Woman King. Did not love TRT (that was weird, Wes Anderson), however, TWK was amazing (I love Viola Davis). The last film I watched was The Strays a Netflix original and in short: it was like watching a Walmart version Jordan Peele film. I won’t say too much but I was entertained nonetheless despite the predictable ending. Maybe watch it if you want, but honestly, Jordan Peele originals are much better.

That was my February :) Here’s to March!

Grace Heerdt

Bowling Green '26

Grace Heerdt is a junior studying film production & pop culture at BGSU. She is Co-President of BGSU's Her Campus chapter and she spends her free time making art, reading, writing, watching movies, and making fun boards on Pinterest. She also loves listening to all kinds of music- especially Taylor Swift & Harry Styles!