Erin’s Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Over Thanksgiving Break, I was finally able to get back to my roots and read for enjoyment instead of solely for academics. At the advisory of my bestie, Chloe, I was thrust into the Faerie realm captured in Sarah J. Maas’s A Court of Thorns and Roses series. Let me offer a disclaimer (and perhaps a boast of my literary bravery): I am not a fan of fantasy novels. The last fantasy series I read prior to A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) was Chris Colfer’s The Land of Stories when I was around eleven years old. A primary factor in my acceptance of a fantasy novel is the narrator or protagonist’s voice; if I’m not able to relate to the character at all in order to view their world through their eyes, I have not been able to continue reading (or enjoying, at the least) the book. Begrudgingly, I read the first page of ACOTAR. I was sure that it would be another fantasy no-go, as I had tried over the years to read what was popular in and around my school. To my blessed surprise, I was absolutely hooked. I blinked and I was on page 135. I had not expected to 1) be so captivated by the worlds created in the story, but also 2) be so in love with the characters as they are before applying their fantastical identities.

So, as for the first novel in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series, I found myself engulfed and enthralled with the atmosphere, characters, and story dynamics. The narrator, Feyre, is a 19-year-old girl who spends her time hunting and selling materials for the survival of her older sisters and father. With some juicy family tension, Feyre finds herself in the midst of many different conflicts throughout the novel. As a result of some of her actions, she is introduced to characters of the Faerie realm that I fell in love with. Action-packed and full of emotional interiority, the novel features several character arcs and storylines that are #relatable, yet still allow readers to escape their own lives (while still being able to picture themselves in the book). The plot twists kept the pages turning, and I turned to the second novel in the series A Court of Mist and Fury almost immediately.

While I do suggest the adventure of the series to any young adult reader looking for a bit of fun, escapism, and action, I do want to take note of the content warning associated with the series. Please be advised that the book is a mature novel; meaning there are some very explicit scenes and instances of abuse (specifically domestic violence and sexual abuse). However, these do not overtake the entirety of the story and are integral to the ways the characters make their decisions throughout the series. Please do not read anything that is going to trigger or upset you! This book has quickly started to take over my mind (and my FYP), and I highly recommend it to anyone else looking to put the fun back into reading.

Erin Anderson

Bowling Green '25

Erin is a Junior at Bowling Green State University, where she is majoring in Adolescent/Young Adult Education (Integrated Language Arts). Alongside being Senior Editor for the group, she loves to write about astrology, self-love, spirituality, and mental health.