Life > Experiences

Comparing Feelings Going Into Junior Year: High School vs College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Whenever I think of Junior year, whether it be high school or college, I always think it is the beginning of the end. In my experience, Junior year for both means looking at colleges to apply to since I need to go to grad school. With starting Junior year in the fall I have similar feelings as high school, and I also have different ones. 

High school

Going into Junior year of high school I felt like I was finally starting to become a young adult. I got my license and first car, I got my first job, and my love life started to pick up (finally). Since there were so many changes like that happening it made me feel timid and scared, plus I realized I was halfway through high school so I was two years away from graduating which felt scary, but exciting. Up until that point I had many experiences robbed by the pandemic and I was finally ready to have a normal high school year and get the true experience. I knew I had to start looking into colleges and figure out what I wanted to do with my life, such as trying to pick a major and do research to see if it fits me. Also, I was told that Junior year of high school was the hardest year of high school, and I decided to load my schedule with a lot of college classes that were notoriously challenging, so I was nervous to start that school year because I didn’t know how I was going to handle it all. 

College

In the fall I will start my Junior year of college and I again, am very nervous. All of the college courses I took in high school made me considered a sophomore right when I got to college, so in a way, I feel behind because this is my first year at college and it is very transitional and now I have to think about grad school. I am doing so much to make sure in the shorter amount of time I have to have a decent application, especially because the program I want to get into for school psychology is very competitive so I need a compelling resume. I thankfully have a decent schedule for the fall semester, at least that is what it looks like on paper so I feel confident in that aspect. At the same time, this is a bittersweet point in my life because this summer will be the last time I am working at my first and only job I had since I was that 16-year-old girl, but every chapter needs to close at some point, and the fast food job chapter will be closing soon. Most of all, I am very excited to pursue the future that I want to create for myself.

Amber Orlandi

Bowling Green '27

I am a freshman majoring in Psychology. I love writing and pop culture. I also love shopping, music, and hanging out with friends. Some of my favorite artists include Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Sabrina Carpenter, Conan Gray, Gracie Abrams, and Reneé Rapp. My favorite colors are baby pink, sage green, and lavender.