Annovera Hero Image R1 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Annovera Hero Image R1 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

5 Ways to Celebrate Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s March and you know what that means, Women’s History Month! While it is a great time for women to celebrate their womanhood and for everyone to educate themselves on different feminist topics, you may wonder what you can do this month to make the most out of March. Here are 5 great ways to celebrate this wonderful time of year!

Check out different female directed/focused films.

Women have made tremendous strides when it comes to representation in film but, there is still so much work to be done. In the meantime here are a few recommendations of great female-inspired movies and T.V. shows to show your support. Have a great time!

• Promising Young Women (2020) Directed by Emerald Fennell
  • Fleabag (2016) Directed by Phoebe Waller-Bridge
  • Little Women (2019) Directed by Greta Gerwig
  • Lady Bird (2107) Directed by Greta Gerwig
  • The Matrix franchise (1999-2021) Lana Wachowski
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (2017-2022) Written by Amy Sherman-Palladino

Check out Bgsu’s center for women and gender equity.

The Center for Women and Gender Equity is an amazing resource on campus that gives women and people of all gender identities support and resources to get through life and college easier. They have so many different resources like giving support for people in abusive situations, counseling, and so many other gender and sexuality resources.

Explore different ideas of womanhood.

What womanhood means to you could be different than what womanhood means to someone else. Where you’re from, how old you are, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexuality, and your gender identity can define womanhood specifically for you. Being aware and educating yourself on how these factors impact how womanhood is perceived makes it easier for everyone to be welcomed.

Look at issues women face and what help is needed.

Despite it being 2022, women still are struggling to find their voice and find their independence. It can seem very overwhelming trying to navigate these issues and fix them. The best way to help is to educate yourself on said issues, even if it doesn’t relate to you specifically. Look for ways you can help women of color, women in different minority groups, transgender women, reproductive healthcare, and violence against women.

Don’t stop after March.

The issues that women face don’t magically disappear in March, and they sure don’t go away after the month is over. We can’t be progressive if we can’t educate ourselves and others and grow from it. Find ways to get involved in your community, support the women in your life, look in the news and see what policies are getting introduced/implemented that affect women. Most importantly, give a special woman in your life a hug, they could use it.

here are some helpful links to help get you started!

https://womenshistorymonth.gov/

Center for women and gender equity

https://www.bgsu.edu/womens-center.html

Instagram: @cwge_bgsu

Liz Dailey

Bowling Green '25

Hi, I'm Liz :) I'm a first-year psychology major looking to go into women's health and domestic violence-related therapy. I'm from Cincinnati Ohio and in the Falcon Marching band!