sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

5 Beach Mistakes I Made So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

While I am living in Florida, I want to make the most of my time here by doing things I wouldn’t typically get to do back home. So on one of my days off from work, I decided to go to the beach with some friends. We all had a great time- however, my midwestern self wasn’t fully prepared for what I was getting myself into. With spring break approaching, I figured now is the perfect time to share some rookie beach mistakes that my friends and I made, so you and yours don’t suffer from the same ones!

#1 Not Wearing Enough Sunscreen

This is easily the biggest mistake you can make while spending your day soaking up the sun (and harmful UV rays). Not only will it lead to the most painful days to follow, turning simple activities like showering or getting dressed into the most uncomfortable tasks- but it is also severely damaging to your skin in the long run. You may think that it’s cloudy or the UV isn’t very high so sunscreen application and reapplication is unnecessary, but think again. Sunburns are sneaky and you can’t always see the full extent of the damage until it is already done. A helpful tip I would recommend is to set a timer on your phone for 90 minutes or so to avoid losing track of time!

#2 Not Wearing Reef Safe Sunscreen

It wasn’t up until recently that I began to educate myself on the importance of reef-safe sunscreen. Before, I was only looking for products that were safe for my sensitive skin and made with natural ingredients. However, it makes so much sense to look towards environmentally safe products when you’re using that product in the home of so much wildlife! You can tell that sunscreen is reef-safe if it is made with zinc oxide and titanium oxide; these ingredients have less of an impact on coral reefs as they are not associated with coral bleaching. It is important to do your part and implement these environmentally friendly habits into your daily life. My favorite sunscreen brands include COOLA and Sun Bum!

#3 Not Staying Hydrated

While it is essential to drink water throughout the day, it is especially important when spending an excessive amount of time in the sun and the heat. In fact, the recommended amount for a typical beach day is a half liter per hour, so for a visual that’s about one disposable water bottle. Obviously, plastic water bottles are out and reusable water bottles are in, so you can do the math to find your recommended amount based on your water bottle of choice. While I do love my Hydroflask, I feel that my Owala is even better for the beach based on the ability to close and lock the lid, and it’s super portable with the little handle on top!

#4 Not Having Sufficient Snacks

I don’t know about you, but being on the beach, especially swimming in the ocean, makes me so hungry! Packing a cooler with a meal and some snacks is the perfect way to stay fueled up while saving money. My most favorite beach meal is a cold sub sandwich with sides like fruit or chips. You can also bring popsicles or ice cream to help you cool off while enjoying your sweet treat.

#5 Not Bringing Activities

Now, this one seems kinda silly since you’re at the beach- how can you possibly be bored? But it happens, and I have a few different things I like to bring to rotate through. Throwing it back to 2019 when I was in my VSCO girl era, I still love bringing string to make bracelets connected to my water bottle. It’s very summery and nostalgic. Another classic is bringing a book to read! While I love a good physical book it’s also nice to bring my Kindle when I’m limited on space and I don’t have to worry so much about it getting a little wet. If you’re into more physical activities, bringing a volleyball or spike ball set is always a lot of fun.

I hope that the next time you go to prepare for your trip, some of these cross your mind- happy beaching!

Natalie Yonker

Bowling Green '24

Natalie is a junior at BGSU majoring in tourism, hospitality, and event management and minoring in marketing. This semester, she is participating in the Disney College Program. She is an active member of Chaarg in addition to Her Campus. She's passionate about all things Disney, reading, jewelry making, journaling, and health and wellness.