This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

With Thanksgiving Break upon us, classes are out and there is oodles of time on our college-student hands. My favorite part about break is relaxing, unwinding, spending time with friends and family, and watching my favorite movies. A nice, comforting movie always makes me feel better. So, grab your popcorn and favorite snacks!

The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

This movie is so warm and magical. Although its a children’s movie, it never fails to make me feel better when I’m feeling sad. The plot follows Mr. Fox and his animal instincts of stealing animals and other things from the nearby farmers. Mr. Fox has to put aside his own personal desires and get his way out of the situation to protect his family and animal friends. The Fantastic Mr. Fox is a movie based off of Roald Dahl’s novel, The Fantastic Mr. Fox. The film is a stop-motion take, directed by Wes Anderson, with many famous actors such as George Clooney (Mr. Fox), Bill Murray (Badger), Meryl Streep (Mrs. Fox) and Owen Wilson (Coach Skip). The cinematography of this movie is absolutely beautiful. Shades of yellow, orange, tans, and browns are represented of the warm vibe of the movie. The viewer sees huge character development with Mr. Fox and how he grows from his own wants to putting his family and friends’ safety first. This movie makes me feel so emotional yet inspired.

Wes Anderson Fox GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Midsommar (2019)

Although this is a horror/psychological thriller, this movie is oddly comforting. Midsommar follows Dani (Florence Pugh) her boyfriend, Christian (Jack Reynor), and their group of friends through their strange trip to Sweden for their anthropology thesis. Christian is a terrible boyfriend to Dani after the loss of her family in a tragic accident. Throughout the trip to Sweden, we see Dani grow as a character and realize that Christian isn’t a good person and isn’t right for her. Midsommar is an A24 film directed by Ari Aster. This movie is so beautiful although the majority of the main characters die. The film is so comforting after the first watch because the viewer can see Dani’s growth throughout and what leads her to decide to put Christian, and her old life, behind her. This film represents new beginnings from dark pasts and there is something so oddly comforting about that.

Midsommar GIF by A24 - Find & Share on GIPHY

Mid-90’s (2018)

Mid-90’s is another A24 film directed by none other than Jonah Hill. This movie follows Stevie (Sunny Suljic) and a group of older skateboarders that Stevie has begun tagging along with. Stevie grows closer to the boys and they become his best friends. Although Stevie has a hard home-life, he finds a sense of belonging with his new friends. This movie is so wholesome although it has some really sad moments. The cinematography is so beautiful and nostalgic. I first watched this movie over the summer with my brother and sister and I think the experience helped make it even more of a comfort movie for me.

Skateboarding 1990S GIF by A24 - Find & Share on GIPHY
Haley Muter

Bowling Green '25

Hi! My name is Haley Muter! I am a chapter leader for HC at BGSU! I am a sophmore majoring in middle-childhood education, specifically language arts and social studies. I am also minoring in psychology. I write about many topics under the sun but, my favorite topics to write about are mental health, music, and environment-friendly things!