Style > Fashion

Support Black Business: Vagabond Essential Loungewear

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

It is important to support black businesses the same way we support designer brands. Designer brands don’t always take account of our movements, struggles, culture, or value. People of color need to invest in businesses that understand and implement these values.

Want to know which black owned business to support?

Start with Vagabond!

Vagabond owner, Vanessa Celissaint, sat down with us to discuss all you need to know about her brand, entrepreneurship, trial and error, perseverance, and of course upcoming releases for Vagabond.

Vagabond is a loungewear essentials clothing brand based in Brooklyn, New York. It is an inclusive brand with sizes XS – 3XL. The brand started in 2018 but took off in 2020 where they first started selling satin lined hoodies that sold out in two months.

IMG 30F3183E2AB0 1

If you’re a person of color, you know satin material is important to help retain moisture and oils in your hair. Other materials like cotton, which is too absorbent, often cause dry hair and breakage.

The company did extensive research to find what was next for them after their satin lined hoodies and they redirected to loungewear.

With creating new products there is often trial and error. Vanessa tried many different vendors, materials, and colors before she found the perfect version of her loungewear sets. It was very important to her that she was hands on to make sure her clothes were of great quality.

I don’t know about you, but I love a great lounge set that’s comfortable and stylish. But don’t you love it even more that someone who looks like you and understands you, prioritized quality/satisfaction over profiting from sales.

Vagabond Loungewear

Howard University’s very own poured her knowledge in from the business degree she received, but still had challenges. With receiving samples, sometimes they were damaged in transit, the wrong material, or the color wasn’t what she thought it to be and she pushed through it all. Vanessa encourages all entrepreneurs to not let setbacks define your business. Figure out how to pivot and make your product better than before.

“Believe you deserve everything!” A motto from Vanessa that everyone should live by.

Through the time it takes to develop a successful business it is essential to take feedback, manifest your goals, and be creative. These three tips alone will help you set your brand apart from others the way Vagabond does.

Now just because I said it’s important to support black owned businesses doesn’t mean you should accept a discount or something for free.

Say it with me, “Black Owned Doesn’t Mean Free!”

Last time I checked, I’ve never seen people ask Gucci or Chanel for a discount. So don’t try it!

It’s important to Vanessa that people detach status from wearing designer labels and focus on the quality of the clothing and if the company truly includes people of color in their everyday business. Not only when it’s trendy!

If you haven’t already purchased from Vagabond, do it now! Visit their website here.

Follow their Instagram @shop.vagabond to stay updated on new products and the latest drops.

Happy Shopping!

Khiya Derricott

Bowie State '23

Khiya is a senior majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Broadcast Journalism at Bowie State University. She aspires to become a news anchor. She hopes to one day work for ESPN and intern with the NFL. She has interests in editorial writing, football, and foreign relations. Professional interests aside, her favorite color is purple. She loves to travel and to read books. In three words, she would describe herself as kind, adventurous, and tenacious.