megan thee stallion?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
megan thee stallion?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NBC

Drake Snubs Megan Thee Stallion in New Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

On November 4th, 2022, Drake released his second album this year, “Her Loss”, with 21 Savage. The album was anticipated in some ways. Unfortunately, all hype was greatly overshadowed by one of Drizzy’s lines, in which he dissed Megan Thee Stallion in the song Circo Loco.

Let’s rewind. Back in 2020, rapper Megan Thee Stallion accused rapper Tory Lanez of shooting her in the foot after an altercation. There were those who supported Megan, including other artists as well as fans. Unfortunately, there were people who doubted her as well. Immediately calling her claims lies, accusing her of trying to “bring a Black man down”, and claiming that the injuries in her foot could’ve been caused by glass. 

For two years, this has been an incident that’s haunted Megan; as people find ways to mock her trauma — in songs, on Twitter, etc. Adding Drake to this list is incredibly disappointing, but not surprising. 

A man who has been rapping about having his heart broken by women who seem to be “all the same” for years does not seem too far from the demons that Megan has been trying to fight for two years. Despite all the conspiracy theories and people trying to gaslight Megan (again) it’s important that we face the facts.

Drake wrote a line that clearly said “This b***h lie ‘bout getting shots but she still a stallion”. Regardless of if it’s bad taste or not, the first thing that people are going to put together are Megan and Tory, and Drake must’ve known this. 

A tired, and rightfully so Megan said her piece on Twitter: “Stop using my shooting for clout bitch ass N****s! Since when tf is it cool to joke abt women getting shot! You n****s especially RAP N****S ARE LAME! Ready to boycott bout shoes and clothes but dog pile on a black woman when she say one of y’all homeboys abused her.”

The anticipation of the album was quickly overshadowed by the controversy, which is perhaps what Drake wanted; but what he might not have expected was the amount of people willing to stick up for Megan, and shame him.

In an age where we are beginning to move slightly forward and somehow 10 steps backward, I beg of Drake, and anyone who reads this, to do it the elementary way, and think before you speak.

Jola is a student writer at Her Campus – Bowie State, and covers editorial and events at her chapter. She is a freshman at Bowie State University with a major in computer science.