Costume Do’s and “Don’t ever do that again”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, everyone is focused on last minute costume ideas and finding the most festive parties!  Whether it’s scary or sexy we take pride in dressing up in the most talked about costumes. The last thing any respectable human wants to do amid all action is disrespect anyone else’s culture or beliefs. Continue reading for a list of good and bad ideas for last minute costumes.

Do: Find a weather appropriate outfit

Now this may be news to some children, but as adults I shouldn’t have to remind y’all that Halloween is in October every year.  In most states this is without a doubt sweater weather. But, if sexy is your thing, find a way to make it temperature appropriate. That man might not give you his hoodie this spooky SZN.

Do NOT: Dress as someone else’s culture or religion 

Whether it be a priest, a native American, Hawaiian, or Asian, the amount of inappropriate cultural costumes I saw in a costume shop had me shook. I couldn’t understand who would purchase those costumes without the intention to offend someone. There was a sombrero and a poncho costume labeled “Mexican” that really pushed me over the edge. Next time you choose a costume, ask yourself if it could be offensive and put it back because if you must ask, the answer is already there. We’ve seen it all before, it was just as cringey then as it is now. 

Do: Wear comfortable shoes

Halloween is one of the most festive holidays in the country. This could either be long nights of partying or even long walks trick or treating with the kiddies. The absolute last thing you want to do is carry around 6-inch heels because you wanted to be Beyoncé this year. You’re the only one who knows how much your feet can handle, be considerate to yourself.

Do Not: Use this as an opportunity to blackface or whiteface

This is a big one because it’s been a controversial debate for years.  If you choose to dress as someone of a different race, leave their skin tone out of that concept. It cannot get more offensive than seeing your race as a joke. 

(Honorary mention)

With the most recent reintroduction of a famous serial killer, Jefferey Dahmer, catching the attention of society I’d like to remind costume wearers that the events that took place were very true and should not be mocked. Please for the respect of the families, do not dress as the serial killer this season. The victims of those families have gone through enough. 

Do: Stay safe and have fun

Fun is the main goal for a Halloween success story. If you have to improvise, be creative and find things around the house that could make your costume a 1 of 1. Most importantly, stay safe. I’m sure we’ve seen it all in scary movies. Drunk people celebrating Halloween always have a scary story attached to it. If you’re old enough to engage in recreational activities, do it responsibly. Don’t leave your drinks unattended and keep a friend nearby. As my grandfather would say, “Be good and if you can’t be good be careful”.

Happy Spooky Season!!!

Keva McCray

Bowie State '23

Keva is a senior Broadcast Journalism student at Bowie State University. After retiring from the U.S. Army, she decided to follow her dreams of becoming a talk show host. Her hobbies include journaling, video and photo editing, and traveling. Her lifetime goal is to write a book and produce the film to it.