Tampons
Tampons
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Wellness

Breaking the PMS Stereotype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

“Must be that time of the month” may be one of the most irritating sentences to ever come out of someone’s mouth. Personally, I’m tired of hearing it. So, let’s talk about how your period actually affects your mood and emotions.

Have you ever found yourself crying over a video of a cute dog and wonder why you’re so emotional and then you realize your period is coming soon? Yeah, me too sis.  The reason this happens is because of the neurotransmitter called serotonin. When you’re on your period and experience PMS, you are hypersensitive to your own normal cyclic hormones. These hormones are called progesterone and estrogen and can influence your serotonin levels.

During this hypersensitivity period, your emotions become emphasized. When you’re angry you feel it more, when you’re sad you feel it more, and when you’re anxious you feel it more. It’s easy to feel like the whole world has a secret agenda against you until you check your period app and put two and two together.

For years women have been ridiculed and made fun of for being emotional or “dramatic” while on their cycle. We have even been told we shouldn’t be considered for certain professional positions because our “mood swings” may affect our decision-making, mostly by men who probably can’t even spell menstrual cycle.

A common misconception is that PMS symptoms are only emotional. However, it includes physical symptoms as well. Those hot and cold flashes, tender breasts, random food cravings, and acne? Yup, all a part of PMS. 

PMS often isn’t taken as seriously or seen as a “joke.” Although the cause of PMS is unknown, here are some things you can do to reduce your symptoms:

• Adopt a healthy diet
  • Regularly exercise 
  • Meditation 
  • Hormonal supplements 
  • Cut back on caffeine and alcohol
  • Cut back on smoking
  • Get more sleep (I know TikTok can be distracting at night.)

PMS symptoms typically start about one to two weeks before your menstrual cycle and end at the beginning or during your cycle. So, it’s best to get ahead of the game and start these tips as soon as possible to minimize these symptoms. Hopefully, these tips are helpful. Are you going to let PMS defeat you? Personally… I wouldn’t let that happen.

Keilyn Cook

Bowie State '24

Keilyn is a junior majoring in English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Her two biggest aspirations are to be an environmental lawyer and an author. Her interests include protecting wildlife, environmental safety guidelines, and writing books not only about personal experiences, but also the horror and fantasy genres. Her favorite activities are reading, writing, weight lifting, and watching the same ten shows over and over.