Life > Academics

5 Tips on Enjoying Homecoming while Maintaining Good Grades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

Homecoming means partying, enjoying, being outside with your friends, but school doesn’t take a pause just because it’s homecoming week. It’s easy to get wrapped up in all the fun you’re having that you forget about the main priority for coming to school, well I got you! Here are some ways that you can be a hot girl scholar:

1. Have a planner

It’s so cliche to tell a college student to get a planner. Every back to school video always tells you to get a planner but for what? Well, during the week of homecoming especially, things get hectic. There are multiple events going on in a day and you might have multiple classes the same day with multiple assignments due, all these can make things overwhelming. It is good to have a planner so you can plan things out. You can know which events you will be able to attend and which ones you might have to miss out on, you also will be able to tell how long you can stay out. You might have an assignment due at 11:59 PM so you can still attend the event that ends at 7:00 PM. Having a planner helps you set your priorities.

1. Complete your assignments ahead of time 

Every professor should have a syllabus containing time frames for each learning module and specific times that assignments are due. Try to review the due date and complete as many assignments that are open for completion as you can. Events don’t always end when they are said to end and sometimes you’re just having too much fun that the assignment due at 11:59 PM skips your mind. At times you are not even going to be able to fully enjoy what you are doing because you are anxious about the homework you have due that you haven’t even started yet. To ease you from the sleepless night and the unnecessary emails begging your professors to accept your late work, just try to complete the assignments you can before going to the event. 

1. Set time off for yourself 

I know this is weird, because why are you setting time off when you are supposed to be outside living your hot girl life? Well, times like this are when seasonal depression starts to arise. Late fall and early winter are when seasonal depression rates get higher. It is important to be mindful of oneself and also the people around us, because depression is a tough battle to fight. Struggling with classes and then having trouble maintaining a social life, not being able to go out with friends because you have to study harder, can all lead to seasonal depression. It is important to know when to take a step back and calm your mind when needed. 

1. Have study groups 

Who said homecoming only has to do with partying? As long as you are with like-minded people and you are having fun, isn’t that all that matters? The reality is, you are not going to be able to make all the planned events, so sometimes you just have to create your own events. Finding friends with a similar mindset as you is important. In college, you will make a lot of party friends but you will also have some flexible friends that you can pretty much do anything with, such as studying. Having a study group can be fun. Ordering some pizza, wings and soda with some study music in the background sounds like a vibe to me, you just have to find the right group. 

1. You can party later 

Finally, understand that there will be so many more parties and events on campus, if not on your campus, on other campuses that you will be able to attend. It is easy to fall into the trap of the “I can always make it up” mindset, but what if you can’t? What if your professor refuses to accept your late work? What if you get anxiety on that test you were so certain you would do well on? There are many things that can happen that will negatively affect your grade, so you don’t want to gamble with it. 

The most important takeaway is to study now, then party later. Of course you want to do both, but just make sure your priority is straight.

Zaimat Bayero

Bowie State '23

Zaimat is a senior biology major and child and adolescent studies minor. Zaimat enjoys writing poetry and hopes to one day publish her own poetry book.