Stranded at the North Pole… with Call It The Truth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

On Thursday, April 7th, Call it the Truth beat out several other student bands to win Battle of the Bands. The grand prize? Opening for the impressive Janelle Monae, Mac Miller, and Dr. Dog at this year’s Ivies concert.  Call it the Truth, made up of students Jus Foster ’11, Mike McCavana ’12, Fhiwa Ndou ’13 and Nate Joseph ’13, has been playing together for a year and a half, but each member has over ten years of previous band experience.  Having performed over 30 songs together live, narrowing down their Ivies set-list will be tough; the group won over faculty judges and a student audience at Battle of the Bands with a combination of original numbers and covers of artists such as Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga. Their music has been said to sound like a marriage of John Legend and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and with sounds that cover a broad range of genres, there’s sure to be something for everyone at their Ivies performance. Today, Call it the Truth is stranded at the North Pole.

Listen to their music here!

You’re stranded at the North Pole for 24 hours. Describe how you spend your day:

JF: Singing.

NJ: Catching fish with a spear. We’re at the north pole, we’ve gotta get food. I’m just being practical.

FN: Eating Flipz chocolate-covered pretzels.

JF: Praying. I’m the spiritual member.

MM: We’re Creed, basically. [All laugh]

Which artist would you travel all the way to the North Pole to see perform?

FN: Adele.

JF: Beyonce. I would go to the North Pole to see Beyonce, period.

MM: The resurrected Doors.

NJ: Jimi Hendrix.

J: I’d still say Beyonce; she is amazing. I wouldn’t make it through the show, I’d be one of those people that gets wheeled out in an ambulance before she even goes on.

If you could bring only one album, one article of clothing, and one book with you to the North Pole, what would you bring and why?

JF: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

FN: Clothing: jort-overalls. You could call them cut-off-eralls. What’s the best word for that?

MM: stupid.

FN: Jean-cut-off-eralls?

JF: I would take a union suit.

FN: Did you ask for food too? I’m thinking Flipz.

MM: The book I’d bring is Everything is Illuminated, for sure.

JF: I’d say The Prophet by Kahil Gibran.

MM: That’s a great book.

F: I have books but I don’t think they relate to anything…

NJ: I have books but I don’t want to sound pretentious.

If you could each strand one other person on the North Pole with you, who would you choose and why?

JF: I would bring The Rock, because he’s strong, funny, entertaining…or Jesus, because he can walk on water.

F: I’d bring Randy [Nichols], he’d know what to do.

MM: Definitely Bear Grylls, host of Man vs. Wild. He knows all the survival skills.

NJ: I’d bring Fhiwa.

F: That’s cute.

What is your favorite thing about springtime at Bowdoin?

MM: Ivies, obvious answer. Is that an obvious answer?

FN: When really hippie-crunchy people get those tightropes and walk on them.

NJ: Porchin’ at Quinby.

JF: I didn’t know “porchin’” was a verb.

FN: Definitely Ivies otherwise.

JF: Especially because we’re opening for the concert!

Which superpower would you most like to have if stranded on the North Pole, and why?

NJ: Flying, so you could leave the North Pole.

JF: I’ll say a variation of that: teleportation. That’s more efficient.

FN: If you choose a power that makes it so that you can’t leave, you’re stupid.

MM: Like the power to make snow cones with your eyes.

FN: That would be the stupidest wish ever.

MM: I was going to say to be able to read people’s minds but then I realized none of you were going to say that.

Photo sources:
Myspace and Callitthetruth.com

Joanna Buffum is a senior English major and Anthropology minor at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.  She is from Morristown, NJ and in the summer of 2009 she was an advertising intern for OK! Magazine and the editorial blog intern for Zagat Survey in New York City. This past summer she was an editorial intern for MTV World's music website called MTV Iggy, writing fun things like album and concert reviews for bands you have never heard of before. Her favorite books are basically anything involving fantasy fiction, especially the Harry Potter series and “Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell” by Susanna Clarke. In her free time she enjoys snowboarding, playing intramural field hockey, watching House MD, and making paninis. In the spring of 2010 she studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, and she misses the friendly, tall, and unusually attractive Danish people more than she can say. After college, she plans on pursuing a career in writing, but it can be anywhere from television script writing, to magazine journalism, to book publishing.