The Modern College Woman: Diversity Comes in All Forms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

This is the conclusion to The Modern College Woman’s series on social class. Be sure to read the previous installments:

I always feel kind of guilty when the students I tutor start their unit on money. It seems to me that it would be nice to go through life blissfully unaware of the difference between a penny and a quarter. Perhaps if Americans thought less about the value of money, we wouldn’t have such polarized social classes.

On the other side of the coin, however, is the ability to see the value behind something rather than just its superficial qualities. A student just learning about money will sometimes use the size or the color of a coin to determine its worth, when these characteristics have nothing to do with the coin’s value.

I’ve been thinking a lot about diversity of all types this week.  As much as it sucks to introduce a form of materialism into the life of a child, learning about the differences in money is essential to functioning in society. After all, the use of money depends on the ideals of the person in possession of it– and can be used to improve society.

Ignorance can only be bliss for so long…

Similarly, it is difficult to introduce differences into a community. What if the difference is ultimately divisive? However, if you don’t point out the depth of difference, people are judged on color and size, and that’s just wrong.

Diversity is a currency that affects our whole community’s value. The more we accept our differences, the more faith is placed in our currency and the better the state of our “economy” as a sense of belonging. Because at the end of the day we’re NOT coins, and learning about our differences does not create a hierarchy of worth. In the words of Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., people should be judged as individuals by the “content of their character.”

Abraham Lincoln said that “a house divided against itself cannot stand.” No matter how many individuals are able to achieve prosperity, the cohesion of America—a unity exemplified by our most basic constitutional convictions—is affected by the state of social class.’

My close friend, a junior at Bowdoin writes, “Idealistically I am the poster child of the American Dream. I come from extreme poverty, where I am the first person in my family to graduate high school, and I now am attending a very prestigious college and excelling.”

However, she recognizes that society doesn’t improve solely on the basis of individuals serving as exceptions to the rarity of drastic social mobility, “…my American Dream is not about me. It encompasses my family, my community, my people. Even though I am now in a position of extreme privilege to which I am very grateful, I will not have achieved much in life until poverty in the US is a thing of past.”

To set our sights on completely eliminating the lower social classes in America is to accept that we may never “get there.” But perhaps this collective dream is just as necessary as the individual dreams of any aspiring rock star, Olympian, or astronaut.

“I know that luck and hard work brought me to Bowdoin, and that I could have easily become another statistic. However, I am not a dreamer. I know very well that ending poverty is impossible, so in that sense I accept that I will never achieve the American Dream.” 

We live in a complicated world, and social class is just another force that threatens to confound our ability to relate to one another. Realistically, social class will never be eliminated, which is why we have to reach across class barriers. Understanding is the new gold standard!

Joanna Buffum is a senior English major and Anthropology minor at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.  She is from Morristown, NJ and in the summer of 2009 she was an advertising intern for OK! Magazine and the editorial blog intern for Zagat Survey in New York City. This past summer she was an editorial intern for MTV World's music website called MTV Iggy, writing fun things like album and concert reviews for bands you have never heard of before. Her favorite books are basically anything involving fantasy fiction, especially the Harry Potter series and “Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell” by Susanna Clarke. In her free time she enjoys snowboarding, playing intramural field hockey, watching House MD, and making paninis. In the spring of 2010 she studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, and she misses the friendly, tall, and unusually attractive Danish people more than she can say. After college, she plans on pursuing a career in writing, but it can be anywhere from television script writing, to magazine journalism, to book publishing.