Maine Style: The Transition to Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Spring has sprung!

For the past few days, at least… Knowing Maine, we will return to the 45° weather in a couple days. Nonetheless, it is officially late April and therefore, it is spring! Put away those puffy jackets and salt-crusted boots and break out your flats and light jackets.  However, what should you do when you are dying to wear a sundress but the forecast calls for chilly weather? Fortunately, there are many ways to create a springy look that won’t leave you shivering!

1. My favorite way to dress for spring is by wearing bright colors in pieces that are still warm.  I have a bright green oxford that makes any day a little brighter.  Colored sweaters and jackets are another way to do this – they are warm but do not seem drab and wintery.

2. Another fun way to adjust to spring fashion is through prints, especially in floral patterns or bright colors. If you are feeling sassy, go for another big trend and wear prints on more than one item.  You could choose stripes or polka dots on your accessories for something more subdued, or go really all out, like this top/ shorts combo.

3. A third trend that designers are featuring this season is pastel colors.  This feeds nicely into the sort of palette many people associate with spring anyways. Designers such as Preen showed looks like this, a head to toe outfit of soft, delicate hues. 

I think the combination is gorgeous, but perhaps not the easiest to wear everyday. My favorite way to embrace this (and many) color trends is on my nails.  I’m currently sporting my nod to pastels, Essie’s Turquoise and Caicos. 

It makes me feel stylish, while staying in my comfort zone (and without putting too much pressure on my wallet). 

4. The last piece I love for this transitional time is a denim jacket.  It can give structure to a sundress when it’s warm or provide warmth when layered with a cozy sweater.  I love the way one of my favorite style bloggers, Jessica Quirk, incorporated it in this look.

Layered over a long-sleeved shirt with pants (and maybe flats instead of heels—or not!), I can imagine wearing something like this when it’s chilly but not quite revert-to-fleece mode.

As we all know, spring in Maine necessitates rain gear, so make sure you have your wellies and waterproof jacket handy!  I’m going to try to incorporate more of these spring-y elements into my wardrobe and will continue to keep my fingers crossed for more gorgeous weather!

Photo credits: