Her Campus Diaries: On Doing Too Much and Saying Too Little

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Dear Her Campus Diaries,

I feel like there’s always so much going on on campus! How do I balance everything with schoolwork while also having time to just relax with friends?

This is a toughie for many people on campus. After coming to Bowdoin, President Mills tells students, “Bite the bear, do not let the bear bite you.” The balancing act at a college with a rigorous course load plus numerous amounts of extracurricular activities can be quite overwhelming.  However, it takes time. What worked for you in the past is not necessarily going to work for you now because Bowdoin keeps you going until you are leaving for scheduled breaks. The first thing you need to do is make a list. Are you doing too many extracurricular activities? I know there are many enticing extracurriculars, however, you are only one person with two hands, one brain, one heart, and one sanity. You have to put yourself first and make sure you are not spreading yourself too thin. I know it is hard to say no, but the world will not come to an end just by declining something or deciding to opt out of a decision that you made previously. It’s better to be excellent at one activity rather than not good at many activities. So, think about what is most important to you; stick with those. The other things can either wait or be left alone completely. And just think, if you really end up missing the group or activity that you opted out of, there is most likely another chance to join next year. Another question to ask yourself: are you overdoing it when it comes to schoolwork? Schoolwork is indeed important, but you also have to remember to give yourself time to rejuvenate. Spending too much time on studies can burn you out—even if one more hour may get you the A-plus. The A-plus (just a figure of speech) is great, but what good will it do you if it costs you your sanity? I know some days we have to spend more time on work than other days, but it is concerning if all of your time is being devoted to studies. The best thing to do in order to balance everything is have a daily/weekly planner. Take time to plan out your week ahead of time in order to see where you have spaces for relaxing and hanging out with friends. If you are not good at planning, try requesting a mentor for the Center for Teaching and Learning located on campus. The center is comprised of people who love to help students schedule out their workload and extracurricular activities. They even advocate for scheduling in free time! So, take advantage of this and get this balancing act in check now before it gets worse later.

I feel like I’m not speaking up enough in class. Even when I knew the answer, someone would always speak up before I raised my hand. What’s even worse, before and after I answer a question in class, I feel strangely nervous — what is wrong with me?!

Honestly I do not think anything is wrong with you. In fact, you are definitely not alone in the situation! Even some of the individuals who are contributing in class are probably not exactly sure of themselves. Instead they are putting themselves out there, taking a chance, or trying to look as if they know what they are talking about. Many times when we are in a competitive environment where everyone is smart, we question our intellectual ability and forget that we are just as intelligent as the next. You are having trust issues with your own self. Trust that you have the ability to contribute to the learning experience. And remember, it is just another experience. In order to trust yourself, you have to learn how to adjust to the environment that you are in now—which we forget is a process all in its own. Have you ever heard of the saying “be comfortable in the skin that you are in?” Well, if you are or not, think of this issue as you not being comfortable with your own mind. Love your mind and let it shine! Think of it as a way to keep it in shape. You have to use it beyond preparing for class. You have to put what you know into action by speaking out. As you said yourself – you know the answers at times, so don’t be afraid. Maybe you do not have the right answers all the time, however, speaking up is better than not speaking at all. Here are a few tips that can help you for situations like these in your class:
1) When preparing for class, take some notes on the reading. This is a good strategy to help you feel comfortable with what you read—just in case you need to look back at them during the class.
2) Form a study group or find a study buddy in class in which you can discuss the readings. That gives you practice before the real deal. 
 3) Most importantly, forget what other people may think of your responses. What you say may even help the next person who did not want to speak up because he or she was scared to participate. 
Again, trust your judgment and rest on the fact that you have the intelligence to go above your comfort level to risk feeling a little awkward during class time. You just have to take the initiative to use it. It only can get better if you put your foot down and practice, practice, and practice! You will better at this in time if you follow these tips!

Photo Credits: