Good Reads for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Whether you’re hitting the beach, the slopes, or catching up with high school friends at home, we all have a little free time on break, so why not take some time to read? Unfortunately, every time I pick up a book at Bowdoin it’s for a class, but it’s nice to read for fun and spring break is the perfect time to do this. Here are a few suggestions:

1)    I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. One of my personal favorites, this book offers a unique perspective of a freshman girl at a large (fictional) university and depicts her transition to college. It’s a longer book (about 400 pages) that is both thought-provoking and relatable, making it really hard to put down. The Bowdoin library has it, so the library in your hometown probably has it too.

2)    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. While it might be a bit below our reading level, it’s a perfect spring break read. It’s a trilogy, but we have two weeks, and if you don’t finish, the movie comes out March 23.

3)    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. We have probably all read this in high school, but it definitely deserves a reread. This book is iconic and you’ll be happy you had the chance to refresh your memory of the story, as the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio comes out at Christmas. 

4)    Just Kids by Patti Smith. A captivating memoir published recently (2010) and has since won a slew of awards. In Just Kids, Smith recounts her life in New York and her relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe in the riotous 1960s.

5)    A CookbookCookbooks are fun to flip through because they often provide inspiration for new, delicious meals. Pull one off the shelf in your kitchen and read it over breakfast. Who knows? Maybe you’ll decide to take a cooking class over break and learn a thing or two to impress your friends or your parents.

Wherever your spring break travels take you, bring a book with you. After all, you have to turn off all electronics on the airplane for takeoff and landing– the perfect time to pick up a book!

Photo credits: