Gabriel Renaud ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Name: Gabriel Renaud
Nicknames: Gab, Gaber
Class year: 2016
Hometown: Quebec City, Canada
Major: Undecided (but Chris Fenwick is asking his advisor for me)
Campus activities: Golden Hours, Hockey time, Slapshot Regatta, Moulton Dinners, ESL courses, and Baxter Basement
Relationship status: Single and Actively Seeking
Preferred relationship status: Actively Not-Seeking

What do you like or not like about living in America vs. living in Canada?
I like that in Canada we have good Tim Hortons. I like to legally be able to walk into a bar and purchase any Molson product I desire. I enjoy Quebec maple syrup candy as it really activates my taste buds and you can eat more than one without feeling nauseous. I like that in Canada, we can play outdoor hockey from November to March on natural frozen ice. What I don’t like about Canada is our College/University system. I like lots of things here as well, but I think it is partly due, to the fact that we are in Maine, and it is highly similar to Canada. I also like most American people as I think they are friendly, generous and optimistic about life. I end by saying the American dream is quite like living the dream in ice hockey.

What was your first pet (name and type)?
Her name was “baby girl”

If you could invite any 3 people living or dead to a dinner party who would you invite and why?
The living legend himself, Lance Armstrong! I’d like to eat dinner across from Connor Shannon during Golden Hours, and probably Borat – to have someone speak my language!

What is your favorite movie?
Monsters INC. is probably my favorite movie because I connected on an emotional level with “Sulley” during his struggles throughout the performance.

As a hockey player are you upset that you always have to eat in Moulton? Do you ever eat at Thorne? Do you ever want to?
I would like to eat at Thorne if I had the opportunity to take a girl out on a date. Only, if I had that chance, would I go to Thorne. Also, I don’t have to eat at Moulton. I choose to eat at Moulton because it builds team camaraderie heading into a very important season. Eating at Moulton with my friends and teammates allows me to slow down from the stressful days of school, workouts, hockey, and homework. It’s a time where we can build chemistry together that hopefully will carry over onto the ice. Tradition and team building is vital for success and I think chemistry building such as eating at Moulton is a strong reason why the team recently won the NESCAC championship. I hope by eating meals with my team I can contribute to a healthy locker room environment as we work our way toward a NESCAC and National Championship.

What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
In Quebec, I ate fried possum one time. It was the last time I did, as a small case of food poisoning broke out amongst my fellow campers.

What have you accomplished that you are most proud of?
Definitely leaving home, learning English and being in the position I am now. I will never regret this decision.

What are the differences between Canadian and American girls?
I wish that with American girls, we (guys) did not have to always make the first move. Canadians girls are more wild and crazy in general. I hope American girls, especially those at my current college – Bowdoin, will someday emulate the Canadian girls.

Most embarrassing moment?
All of my embarrassing moments are not very appropriate to say in this context.

What do you do if you’re trying to get a girl to notice you/impress her?
I tend to play to my strengths and avoid my weaknesses. My strengths include speaking French and my weaknesses include speaking English. I’m also a slam poet. So many times I will speak slam poetry to American girls in French. The things they do later blow my mind.

What do you look for in a girl?
I am attracted to girls with a strong personality, who speak multiple languages, and with a freaky side. That is to say I’m not into the “cold fish” thing.

What is your ideal date activity?
My ideal date activity would be listening to Endless Love in the dark while playing slap-shot regatta.

Fun fact?
Henry Mcnamara and I will be voting for president Obama in the upcoming election. 

Marissa is a senior at Bowdoin College, majoring in Government and minoring in English. She's interned with NPR, The Christian Science Monitor and ELLE.com. In her spare time she enjoys writing poetry, baking cupcakes, tweeting, and admiring the big dipper. She hopes to live in a lighthouse someday, with 27 cats and a good set of watercolors.