Five Female Vocalists From Across the Pond You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

I have a major in Government and Legal Studies and a minor in procrastination. Yes, you read that right, procrastination. Over the course of my three years here at Bowdoin, I have excelled at avoiding assignments I really don’t want to complete. My procrastination goes beyond the typical combination of Facebook and AIM. It includes shopping websites, fashion and lifestyle blogs, music, movies and books. Each week, I plan to bring the latest, up-to-date methods on how-to-procrastinate, because really, who wants to write that paper on Chaucer?

Five Female Vocalists From Across the Pond that You Should Know

One of my mainstay methods of procrastination is adding new music on my iTunes under the guise that listening to music will help me study better. Most recently, I’ve stocked up on music from a few English dames. While American airwaves haven’t experienced a British invasion as widespread as the Beatles, I think the ladies I’ve highlighted below are more than capable of taking on that challenge.

Adele

No list about British female artists would be complete without Adele. After winning her Best Artist Grammy in 2009, Adele went to work recording her latest release 21. It’s safe to say that this album is by far one of the most played on my iTunes. In this release Adele pairs her sultry voice with disco-infused gospel/soul beats. This combination lends to an echoey feel that emphasizes the pain behind many of the album tracks.   Aside from everyone’s clear favorite “Rolling in the Deep”, choice tracks include: “Set Fire to the Rain”, “Turning the Tables” and “Take It All”.

Ellie Goulding

Electropop is not a genre I usually delve into, but after being introduced to Ellie Goulding by my good friend Onyi, I regret not listening sooner. Ellie’s soothing and refined voice makes the synthetic-electro beats that her tracks are usually laced with, less overwhelming and much more enjoyable for everyday listening. She released her debut album Lights in February 2010, winning the 2010 BRIT’s Critic Choice Award. (The BRITS are the UK equivalent of the Grammys). Ellie than went on to release the album as Bright Lights, providing listeners with six additional songs. While the majority of my personal favorite tunes, “Starry-eyed”, “Everytime You Go” and “The Writer”, come from the original UK edition, the US release has some gems as well. One such gem is a cover of Elton John’s classic “Your Song”, in which Ellie’s airy vocals capture the lyrics’ sincerity.

Dionne Bromfield

This fifteen-year old not only has been blessed with a sweet pair of pipes, but amazing musical lineage as well. The goddaughter of beehive wearing singer Amy Winehouse burst on to the English music scene via YouTube. The video in question is a recording of her and Amy covering Alicia Keys’ “If I Ain’t Got You”. Given her history of covers, it comes as no surprise that her debut album, Introducing Dionne Bromfield, was a cover album of old Mo-town soul classics such as “Ain’t No Mountain (High Enough)” and “Mama Said”. While Dionne has no follow-up album slated to come out anytime soon, she has released a single with American hip-hop royalty Diggy Simmons entitled “Yeah, Right”. While the song is a bit Taylor-Swiftesque in terms of content (teenage boys and break-ups), the hook is catchy, no part to Dionne’s throaty vocals. Put this song in your guilty pleasures playlist.

Ava Leigh

In a genre dominated by male performers and DJ’s, Ava Leigh has made for herself as reggae/ska artist. Her first single, “Mad About the Boy”, was featured in the film version of the popular book Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging. This song is infused with softly, melodious xylophone beats, which makes it perfect for some afternoon reading on the quad (if the snow ever manages to melt). Her debut album, Turned on Underground, is laden with similar upbeat tracks. While Ava hasn’t garnered as much attention as the other artists on this list, she is definitely someone to incorporate in your iPod both for her vocal quality (think deep like Duffy) and the production (imagine a chilled-out version of MIA’s slower tracks).

Natalia Kills

Natalia Kills is another artist who recognized the Internet’s ability to catapult one into stardom. In 2008 she posted several tracks to her MySpace account attracting the attention of favorite celebrity gossip blogger, Perez Hilton. Ironically enough, it was will.i.am that recognized her potential and signed her to his label. If her risqué image is reminiscent of Lady Gaga’s it’s no surprise, they are under the same management company. Don’t fret however; Natalia Kills is not a carbon copy of Lady Gaga. As illustrated by her lead single Mirrors, she is able to find her own niche in pop music, embracing a much darker, edgier side of things. Her debut album, Perfectionist, was released in Germany and Poland this past weekend and is slated to drop stateside sometime in late summer.

Joanna Buffum is a senior English major and Anthropology minor at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.  She is from Morristown, NJ and in the summer of 2009 she was an advertising intern for OK! Magazine and the editorial blog intern for Zagat Survey in New York City. This past summer she was an editorial intern for MTV World's music website called MTV Iggy, writing fun things like album and concert reviews for bands you have never heard of before. Her favorite books are basically anything involving fantasy fiction, especially the Harry Potter series and “Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell” by Susanna Clarke. In her free time she enjoys snowboarding, playing intramural field hockey, watching House MD, and making paninis. In the spring of 2010 she studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, and she misses the friendly, tall, and unusually attractive Danish people more than she can say. After college, she plans on pursuing a career in writing, but it can be anywhere from television script writing, to magazine journalism, to book publishing.