Debunking the Trophy Wife Major Myth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Coming into my sophomore year at Bowdoin I had an important and nerve wracking decision to make: what I would major in. Having always had a certain penchant for forgetting the number of zeros in a trillion and confusing aerobic and anaerobic respiration, I was fairly certain I wanted to go the humanities root, sticking to my true passions of writing, art and history. Having taken a few art history classes, I was enchanted by the discipline and began to see myself as an Art History major. But reality harshly struck when my cheery family announcement was met with anything less than enthusiasm. “Art History? But that’s such a trophy wife major, you’re smarter than that.” I was deflated, downtrodden and upset. I couldn’t believe that people still carried these misconceptions, let alone my own family.

For those who don’t know, a “trophy wife major” is exactly what it sounds like; it is a derogatory term for a major where the assumption is that women who decide to concentrate in these areas do so only because the classes are supposedly easy and they can simultaneously search for Mr. Right. The perceptions of the “Mrs. Degree” and the “trophy wife major” are longstanding notions that frankly have no place in this day and age.

The very idea operates on many false assumptions. Firstly, majors dealing with the humanities are not any less challenging or stressful than those dealing with science or math. Writing a 100 page thesis up to Bowdoin standards is just as difficult and time consuming as working for days in a lab. Both are equally challenging.

“Honestly, a Bowdoin degree is impressive regardless of your major,” said freshman Catherine Yochum, who did not feel that so-called trophy wife majors were any easier than any other majors at Bowdoin.

Secondly, it’s ridiculous to think that just because a woman is fortunate enough to be able to work in order to raise her family that this choice is somehow dishonorable or anti-feminist. Feminism began in an attempt to allow women to do what they wanted, without being undervalued or underestimated. There should not be a stigma attached to women who choose to stay at home with their children; rather, these women should be praised.

Bowdoin women weighed in on the subject of trophy wife majors and family:“I think it’s a privilege to be able to stay home with your family” said sophomore Taylor Guiffre, a potential Sociology or Psychology major who cites her decision to major in those disciplines as a function of the fact that she was not really interested in science or math growing up.

So while my family may not appreciate my interest in Art History, it is the subject which I’m passionate about. The pursuit of any degree from Bowdoin will help me to become the educated and successful woman to which I have always aspired.

Marissa is a senior at Bowdoin College, majoring in Government and minoring in English. She's interned with NPR, The Christian Science Monitor and ELLE.com. In her spare time she enjoys writing poetry, baking cupcakes, tweeting, and admiring the big dipper. She hopes to live in a lighthouse someday, with 27 cats and a good set of watercolors.