Daniel Dickstein tells it like it is…on Two Friends Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

What just happened?  One second, they were your best friends! Now they are madly in love and you have to deal with all of that drama. Plus, you are left out of nearly everything, except the occasional breakfast (which is always awkward because they are flirting over pancakes— come on, really?).  So, what do you do in this situation?

Not to be Captain Obvious or anything, but I have a few of those friends.  It is definitely hard to handle two of your best friends dating or even just being together in that “special” way.  For one thing, it is hard to feel left out by your friends. Lots of people get boyfriend/girlfriend complexes and don’t like to be second best,  but it is even harder when you become second best to two people at the same time.  You quickly become a lower priority, which is hard to accept. Also, since you are both of their best friends, they will feel comfortable confiding in you and it is difficult to hear the same story from two different perspectives (Who do you believe? Who do listen to? What do you say?  And also, who has the time to listen to the same story twice when you have to study for a test in Quantum Mechanics and write a paper on Pride and Prejudice).

Basically, it is very common for your world to go array when you lose two best friends to love.  In this scenario, there are many approaches you can take.  The first one is to ignore it.  You can totally pretend that your two friends aren’t madly in love. You can always try dealing with the situation by helping them out.  These are your friends after all and they need your help just as much as you need them– so maybe you should ummmmm help them out! However, it can sometimes be hard to give advice when you want to keep your other friend in mind.  In this case, you can confront the situation and ask yourself: what the best thing to do for me and my morals? Maybe this means playing both sides.  Still, this can cause a lot of trouble.  In order to avoid all of these scenarios, you may just want to make new friends and give these friends space.  If worse comes to worse you can always try getting a hobby (stamp collecting is my personal favorite—I’m about to start my bird stamp section—I can’t wait).

Really, it isn’t that bad that two of your friends happen to be dating or seeing each other.  It may even be nice because you get to spend time with two friends at once.  It can still be stressful to deal with all of the drama, watch friends get upset with each other, or hear that one of your best friends is lying to your other best friend, but you just have to trust your instincts and your heart.  There is no turning back now because what happened has happened.  The only problem is, what do you do when they break up?