What to Remember About International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bournemouth chapter.

The 8th March marks the worldwide event of International Women’s Day, a global celebration of women’s economic, politic and social successes.  Events have been held across the country, such as organised talks, roller derby sessions and group gatherings to rejoice women’s achievements.

The first International Women’s Day event took place in 1911 and was run by the Suffragettes, a movement that campaigned for the women’s right to vote. The day now honours the work of these Suffragettes. 

In some countries such as Russia and China, the day is a national holiday, but it seems that the UK is somewhat behind these countries in terms of commending the accomplishments of women.

Although International Women’s Day recognises how far women have come, it also reminds people of the inequalities that still exist nowadays. Therefore, the theme for 2014 is ‘Inspiring Change‘, and aims to encourage women’s advances whilst challenging the current status quo.

The day is enjoyed by thousands all over the world, and serves as a reminder to all women that so much has been achieved, but there is still a way to go.

I am a journalism student at Bournemouth University and I aim to pursue a career in the media, as I really enjoy writing.