Get Involved! Our Favorite Social Movements for Positive Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

On-Campus and in the greater Boise community: 

We dance, they Smile! Boise State’s 17-hour long Dance Marathon raises funds for St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital as a part of the Children’s Miracle Network. Boise State Dance Marathon strives to raise monetary support and awareness for St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital through year-round events. These year-round efforts culminate in February, when hundreds of students stand on their feet for seventeen hours straight to show their dedication to the children, families, and hospitals of the Children’s Miracle Network.

During the Marathon, dancers are challenged mentally and physically, gaining perspective of the even greater challenges and obstacles facing the children we support. This year, Boise State marathoners raised over $37,000!

Want to join in on the action? To donate and register for next year, click here. Follow Boise State Dance Marathon on Twitter: @boisestatedm, and “like” their Facebook page.

Did you know every 3.5 minutes a child is diagnosed with cancer? Join Boise State students, staff, and community and do something to help: BE A HERO FOR KIDS WITH CANCER!

Childhood cancer research is severely underfunded. St. Baldrick’s is looking to change that by raising funds through head-shaving events worldwide. Volunteers shave their heads at these events to stand in solidarity with children who typically lose their hair during treatment. St. Baldrick’s is the second-leading organization that funds childhood cancer research in America.

Whether you decide to shave your head, or donate your time or money, get involved at Boise State and help us give hope to infants, children, teens, and young adults fighting this disease. 

Spread the Word to End the Word is an ongoing effort by Special Olympics, Best Buddies International and their supporters to raise awareness about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word “retard(ed),” as well as to encourage people to pledge to stop using the r-word. The campaign aims to engage schools’ organizations and communities to rally and pledge their support. Most activities are centered annually on the first Wednesday of March– the annual awareness day for the campaign. However, people everywhere can help Spread the Word year-round in their communities and schools by participating in year-round pledge drives, youth rallies, and online activism.

This effort is spearheaded by some notable college students who desired to make a difference: Soeren Palumbo (Notre Dame 2011) and Tim Shriver (Yale 2011), and is now led by young people, Special Olympics athletes, and Best Buddies partners across the country. Celebrity activist John C. McGinley of the hit show “Scrubs” is a spokesperson for the campaign, as well.

Respectful and inclusive language is an integral part of the movement for dignity and humanity towards people with intellectual disabilities. However, much of society does not recognize the hurtful, dehumanizing and exclusive effects of the word “retard(ed).” Language affects attitude. Attitudes affect actions. Make your pledge to use respectful language here.

Although a bit controversial, this is a great and easy way to show support for cancer awareness. Give your skin a break from the everyday makeup cake, yeah? #bravetobebare. 

Big-picture involvement: utilizing the power of social media 

• Hollaback: a community response to street harassment

Hollaback is a movement to end street harassment, powered by a network of local activists around the world. The philosophy of Hollaback is to promote better understanding of street harassment, ignite public conversation, and develop innovative strategies to ensure equal access to public spaces. Learn more here

• Ban Bossy: encouragement and support for the next generation of women leaders. #banbossy

The following is a clip of the creators sharing a brief description and explanation of the site/project, as well as a great performance of Spoken Word artist, Andrea Gibson. Take the time to check it out!

The Representation Project is a movement that uses film and media content to expose injustices created by gender stereotypes and to shift people’s consciousness towards positive change. Interactive campaigns, strategic partnerships and education initiatives inspire individuals and communities to challenge the status quo everyone, regardless of gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation or circumstance, can fulfill their potential.

The following is a preview from the upcoming film release, The Mask You Live In, which focuses on gender stereotypes and their implications. 

Check out the awesome new #NotBuyingIt campaign here

• Me to We: a lifestyle Mother Nature will love 
Me to We strives to set an example of the highest social standards in business. By offering ethically manufactured products, inspiring leadership experiences, and financially supporting the 
work of Free the Children with every purchase, Me to We strives to build a world where corporate thinking meets social awareness. Me to We is committed to minimizing our eco-footprint by carbon offsetting international volunteer trips, shipping and domestic travel, printing on recycled paper, and avoiding the use of pesticides in the production of all products. 

In 2012 alone, Me to We’s positive global impact included:

• 680,273 gallons of water saved
  • 43,055 pounds of solid waste saved
  • 1,476 trees saved
  • 142,749 pounds of greenhouse gases saved.
  • 195,000 trees planted
  • 520,306 people inspired– through speeches, books, outreach, and 268,848 hours of volunteer service on Me to We trips
Check out these and other awesome social movements for positive change on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and virtually every other social media outlet you use!
Kara Stefani

Boise State

Hey there!   My name is Kara Stefani and I am in my third year of college, majoring in Psychology from Boise State University as well as minoring in Sociology, Family Studies, and Dance.  I currently work at the Women's Center on campus (not affiliated with HerCampus) as a Healthy Relationships Peer Educator, and enjoy it thoroughly.  I'm involved on campus as Vice President of the Psi Chi Honor Society as well as an active member of the Boise State University Secular Alliance.  Recently I have joined an organization called The Representation Project, and hope to encourage the representation of women as dynamic, leadership characters in the media.  This message is important to me, as I believe the future begins with our understanding of reality from a young age; what impacts young people more than the constant bombarding media?  On that note, EVERYONE fo EVERY age should go see Frozen. (:   As a writer for Boise State's HerCampus chapter, I hope to gain writing experience, as well as be a part of a fun team promoting involvement and community here at Boise State!   This is just a bit of what I am passionate about!  Don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions, ideas for an article, or comments about my work.Thanks and enjoy!-Kara Stefani (:
Katie Meikle

Boise State

Katie Meikle, also known as Meeks, Meikle or Pumpkin, is a junior and transfer student from Tufts University in Boston, currently studying health sciences at Boise State. Although a Boise native, Katie spent her entire high school career overseas, split between Japan and Taiwan. Katie's writing interests include fashion, healthy eating, mixology, and campus cuties... of course! She loves the great outdoors, traveling, her two dogs, Lexi and Hobbs, days at the beach, walks on sunny days, and her mom's cooking. Favorite quote: don't be a drag, just be a queen.