This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Her Campus Boise State: For those of our readers who are unfamiliar, what is the International Food, Song, and Dance Festival?

Aziz Alfaleh: The International Food, Song, and Dance Festival (SOFODA) is an annual event put on by the International Student Association club. It typically involves a night of performances in the form of dances, songs, skits, traditional ceremonies…etc. as well as food from many different countries, with recipes provided by current international students. 

HC: What was your favorite part about being part of the SOFODA festival this year?

AA: It is a pretty inspiring experience to see such a dedicated group of students work very hard to represent their cultures, without even being paid! Some students just have a passion for putting together a great event, and that is definitely my favorite part.

HC: What motivated you to take on such a large role in the SOFODA festival?

AA: I’ve always had a passion for being involved on campus and making things happen. SOFODA 2011 was my first major involvement at Boise State, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

Photo taken from this year’s SOFODA Festival

HC: What are your hopes for next year’s SOFODA festival?

AA: I really hope to implement the ideas that fell through this year due to time constraints, as well as to learn from the things that didn’t work and improve upon everything that did work. Also, it would be great to break the attendance record set this year (500 people!). 

HC: Speaking of ethnic foods, what is your favorite dinner food?

AA: Oh, there are so many! My favorite two are probably a medium-cooked steak and lamb kabsa, which is Saudi-style rice with lamb.

HC: What other areas are you involved with on campus?

AA: Well, being part of the International Student Association has enabled me to work with a lot of amazing fellow organizations, including hosting an event by the Saudi Club and working with different organizations on campus to make a multicultural music video.  

HC: What is your major and what do you hope to do after you graduate? 

AA: My major is Marketing. After I graduate, I will try to get a year of work experience and then apply for a Master’s degree program in Marketing and Communication.  

Aziz with friends at the festival

HC: Thank you so much Aziz! We are already looking forward to next year’s International Food, Song, and Dance Festival!