books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Boise Book Nook: Hyperbole and a Half

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

If you’ve never read “Hyperbole and a Half,” then you are missing out on something fabulous! Allie Brosh is a comic genius and is every twenty-something’s spirit animal. Her silly comics partnered wither hilarious adventures are just what you need after a long day at the grindstone.

From her all-too relatable (if you’ve been around Boise’s geese) goose mishap in “Dinosaur,” to her childhood antics in “The God of Cake,” to her memory of a surgical tooth removal as a youth in “The Party,” Allie will have you on the floor with tears streaming down your cheeks and a smile you just can’t seem to shake. Her tales of Simple Dog and Helper Dog will especially hit home with pet owners, and the comics are so easily accessible that you can’t help but read on. She even manages to tackle the subject of depression in one of the most honest and relatable ways, making it melancholy and humorous for both those who suffer from the illness as well as those who do not.

Most relatable of all for those of us who live locally, Allie grew up in Idaho and now lives in Bend, Oregon. She began her blog series of “Hyperbole and a Half” in 2009, and it became a huge success. In 2013, Allie was named one of the fifty most influential creative figures in the world by Advertising Age. Simon and Schuster, Inc. published “Hyperbole and a Half” in book form in 2013.

If laughter is just what the doctor prescribed, then check out Allie’s “unfortunate situations, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem and other things that happened.’ Whether you’re 16 or 60, “Hyperbole and a Half” is sure to please!

Dakota Brown

Boise State

Dakota Brown is our Managing Editor here at Her Campus Boise State! She loves all things literature; an avid reader who also writes whenever possible, she aspires to having a future in publications editing. In her free time (aside from reading and writing), Dakota can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, baking, and spending quality time with her dog, Kili, and her hedgehog, Lily.