9 Important Facts About Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

You may have heard of the American Cancer Society and know all about Relay for Life. Some may think that this is just another organization that is run to make money and there is a common misconception about how much of their funds raised actually go to research. Well, there is always more to the story; here are some fast facts about the American Cancer Society and cancer itself you may find interesting and that we at Her Campus Boise State think are important for you to know.

1. They have developed guidelines for people to follow which includes screening tests, nutrition, and physical activity recommendations.

2. 1-800- 227-2345 is their hotline that is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This hotline offers assistance for patients needing a ride to treatment or someone simply looking for human connectiona and compassion through their battle. 

3. They are largest private, non-profit funder of cancer research.

4. In 2016 there will be over one million cancer related cases diagnosed and close to 600,000 causes of death in the United States will be due to cancer.

5. 47 of the cancer researchers that American Cancer Society has been involved with have won a Nobel Prize.

6. Over four million people around the world take part in Relay for Life.

7. The American Cancer Society has helped determine that approximately 133 billion dollars have been spent on tobacco-related health care costs.

8. According to studies, people who have more moles are not necessarily more at risk of developing skin cancer. 

9. Genetic testing is used to help determine if people are a carrier of a certain gene which may make them more susceptible to cancers that may run in their families.

(All of these facts and statistics were obtained from www.cancer.org)

Sydney Nassar

Boise State

Sydney is a social work major at Boise State. On campus she enjoys attending sporting events and hanging out with her friends avoiding impending deadlines. You can often find her day dreaming of the beach and European cobblestone streets.
Communications Major with an Emphasis in Journalism but really just a small town girl with big city dreams. I desire to travel, create things, and fall hopelessly in love with people I've never met and places I've never seen.