This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

You’re searching through your library, trying to find just the PERFECT song to express what you’re feeling…and you’re drawing a blank. We’ve all been there! To make your life that much easier, here’s a little guide to the music of America’s Sweetheart. From break-ups to family bonding to a new relationship, Taylor Swift has it all!

1. Our Song

Our song is for when you fall in love with someone, but you want to write or find something to represent that relationship you have with that special someone. Some of us have met a guy or girl who has made us feel like we should be an item; sometimes it ends up being that way, while other times you are both left going separate directions in your lives. “Our Song” is here to capture the moment of being in love with someone, and wanting to come across a song playing on the radio or in your playlist to capture this current state of love you are in with this person.

2. Stay Beautiful

This song is for those who may be unaware of those interested in us, whether that be romantically or as wanting a friendship with us. This song is about someone seeing something in you that you cannot see in yourself. So, this song means to remind you of being your own kind of “beautiful,” whatever that may be to you. An emotion significantly played out in this song is to be considerate of seeing yourself through someone else’s eyes. Remember to “Stay Beautiful”, and true to the core of who you are (not who someone else wants or says you should be), because we’ve got one life to be our own beautiful blossoming human being in this world of people who will try to change us into something or someone we are truly not meant to be in this lifetime.

3. Tied Together With a Smile

This is a song for the guy or girl who is not happy with how he/she looks on the inside. A lot of us have not been happy about the way we look or are physically built. We all need to remember that we have one body, life, and soul, so we’d better take and enjoy every single moment of it. This song calls to mind the emotion of insecurity. Simply, remember you are worthwhile and that you are worth someone’s time and interest. Don’t let people tell you that you should be something different than what or who you are, smile away those doubts in your head that say no one likes you and you will never be good enough.

4. Bad Blood

Oh this song! It calls to mind being hurt by someone’s actions. We all have a friend from our past who hurt us in a way, where the “bad blood” between the both of us still lingers. The best thing you can do is to reach out to that person where that “bad blood” runs, because no one likes standing or being in an uncertain place of emotion. Remember, we may have “bad blood” between us but you should not let the person decide where you stand, let all things good go bad, or allow them to be the cloud of resentment or contempt over your head.

5. Better Than Revenge

We all have that one guy or girl who took something from us that we thought we’d end up having in the long run, and othing is better than written words or rhymes to let a person know how you feel about them. This song is for each of us who has lost or had taken something from us. This is a song for the emotion of shock and rage and pain, and sometimes we just need to get that out.

6. Wildest Dreams

This is a song for hopeless romantics. I bet some of us dating would be how it was back in the 50s, where the guy comes up to the door to meet your parents, brings you flowers and opens up the car door for you before they get in…Nowadays guys or girls will text “I am here” and wait for you in the car until you come out. So, this song is about the emotion of being hopelessly in love with someone. Seriously, most of us are hopeless romantics; whether we admit it or not. 

7. Out of the Woods

Oh uncertainty; we all face this struggle in our abilities as an individual, friend and romantic partner in the relationships we have with others. Many of us wonder where our relationships and friendships stand; others of us are curious of “where is this relationship headed, are we in the clear yet?” Sometimes we are in relationships where we hold the uncertainty of “are we going to be together in the next few days or is this whole thing gonna go up in burning flames?”. We all aspire to have certainty in relationships, but love will always leave us wondering what is to happen next. Will we face another road block or encounter the clock ticking down against us? If the relationship is built on uncertainty, then the relationship is simply not healthy for you and the other person involved. Remember, life is never certain nor is love, but you have the choice to let in all that is good.

8. Shake it Off

The haters gonna hate and fakers gonna fake; this is a song for the emotion of letting go of all that is currently bringing you down in life. You cannot control everything or everyone around you. So shake off all the comments that may be defining who you are in this moment. This song is the best to play at a wedding, when you just want to cut loose and dance like nobody’s watching you.  Yes, we all have haters or heartbreakers or players in our life, but do not let those people control how you go about living. So, turn up the volume, bust a move, and dance your heart out to being your own cool self!

9. New Romantics

This is a song that basically sums up our generation. In this day and age, we are driven by the image that is portrayed out into the digitized world, which we are all a part of. This song is for the emotion of reflection on how we are as individuals in this day and (digital) age. Listen to this song; you’ll think that it truly sums up the individuals we have become and continue to be in this generation. Digital media has opened us all up to being ridiculed or discovered for our amazing pictures or superb ability to market ourselves through this social media medium we all have access to through our electronics. All of us could say yeah, “We are all bored, All so tired of everything, we hold back and it is into timing”, “we need love, but all we want is danger”, “we team up and switch sides like a record changer”. Yes, people are going to change their minds because we are all still growing up, even though most of us are adults. People are going to metaphorically “throw bricks at you”, so be the one to decide what type of castle you want to build for yourself in this fairytale of life.

10. Hey Stephen

This is a song for the emotion of admiration of someone in your life. Love is something we all want and have in different forms throughout our lives. So, yes write a poem or song for the person you admire because we all want to be loved, no matter what each of us will tell you. Don’t be creepy about it though, just be genuine in saying, “I wrote something for you because I admire you for the person you are.” Guys and girls have crushes and write about it, because sometimes we better understand the emotions we are having when they are put into writing. Writing is our voice in all things, but it is also our innermost voice that will explain our true feelings about how a person made us feel or continues to makes us admire them.

11. Red

This one is for the rollercoaster of emotions we go through when we are in love with someone. One day everything is all amazing. Another day, we just want to stay in bed and watch reruns of romantic comedies. Some days, we just want to hang out with our girls and blast the new Selena Gomez song. Remember that love is like being on a rollercoaster, where our emotions are all over the place. Guys and girls, you are in control of when this rollercoaster of love stops and goes, because you may get off track but it is never too late to get on track with the love in life, whether romantic or not.

12. The Lucky One

Oh, how we glamorize our lives through our social media feeds and posts. Yes, we are all important, but life is not always as pretty as the picture portrayed out for the world or your friends to see or ‘like’. In life, people will tell you that you are special, which you are. Remember, life is moving and changing, we may be the supposedly “lucky one” in another person’s eyes. Don’t let go of the notion that you are the ONE who defines the life you live and the love you let in, you are quite LUCKY to be given a life to experience all the good, bad, and in between that society will throw at you. Simply, do not lose who you are, because you are lucky to be your own unique self.

13. Never Grow Up

Throughout our lives, we are always looking to move on and be older than we are, instead of enjoying the age we are.  As we grow older, we think back to when we were little and wanted to be in our teens, so we would not have to depend on our parents to take us everywhere. In our teens, we do not want our parents around, we just want to hang out with our friends. Remember your parents are getting older too and do not be embarrassed if they want to take you somewhere so you can hang out with your friends. This song is for the emotion of being youthful, even when we are in the later years of our life. Remember to never grow up or lose touch with the things that make you special, even when you are all grown up with a family of your own.

Maddie Taylor

Boise State

I am a 20-year-old sophomore at Boise State. My major is communication with a minor in gerontology. I am an aspiring journalist and enjoy writing poems in my free time.