andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Collegiette’s Guide to Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Planning on studying abroad over winter break or next semester? Can’t decide if you are ready to take such a risk? Sometimes you don’t exactly need to feel “ready.” Life is about taking risks and being adventurous, and if the opportunity arises and you are lucky enough to have the chance to travel, take it.

On June 1, 2013, five other Bloomsburg students and myself took an 11-hour flight to Moscow Russia, where we studied abroad for one month. Right now you’re thinking, “Russia? Why the hell Russia?” and to this day I still find myself asking the same question. Putting aside all the international issues happening in Eastern Europe, Russia is a beautiful country and traveling there was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I found the key to success of spending time in another country is to be humble, respect the fact that you are not in your own country, respect the change of culture and customs and be prepared to go with the flow. With that being said, here are a few suggestions I learned during my experience, and I hope you find them helpful as well.

Packing. Before you even leave, I can tell you that you are going to wear less than half the clothing you pack. High heels? Sperry’s? They will not leave your suitcase, and will just take up space you will need for souvenirs. One thing to keep in mind while packing is “What is the most comfortable?” Of course there will be different wardrobe items for different locations, but for the most part there are a few standard necessities that you will need. Here is the list I used when I was packing, give or take a few items.

Safety. I may sound like a mom, but it’s not a dumb idea to research safety information before you leave. The U.S. Department of State offers travel information for every country in the world, regarding any conditions that would affect your safety or security while abroad. You can learn about the locations of U.S. embassies and consulate offices and their phone numbers, whether you need a visa for entering/leaving the country, crime and security information and any health and medical considerations that you need to be aware of.

Flight. Books, magazines, snacks (because the food they offer on planes will 80% of the time sucks), water bottles, deck of cards, headphones, a pillow to sleep… anything you think will keep you busy, take. The plane is also a great place to read books and information on the country you are about to visit.

Pictures. Take pictures of everything. Bring more than one memory card for your camera. When I came home I had a total of 560 pictures and I printed every single one of them out. Pictures are something that you can cherish forever.

Language. I’m not going to lie, going to a foreign country and not knowing a single word of their language is extremely difficult. I didn’t know one word of Russian before I left, but I survived. When you get there, learn the basics. Hi, bye, yes, no, thank you, bathroom and food. Know those words and you’ll be fine.

Laundry. I had the lovely pleasure of washing my clothing in the bathtub. Sarcasm. Before you leave, try your best to find out if there will be washers and dryers available to students. If there aren’t, it’s not the end of the world. Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond both sell travel packs of laundry detergent.

Foreigners. Be open to meeting new people. I met people from Hungary, France, Germany and the Czech Republic who were all staying in the same hallway as me. Most likely the people you meet have been in the country you’re visiting a lot longer than you. They know the best places to eat, drink and shop and they also can help you navigate through your new foreign city. Also, stay in contact with them! I’m friends with multiple people I met on different social media accounts.

Eat. Be adventurous and try new foods. One of the best meals I ever had was in Russia, a Levantine Arab meal called Shawarma. Being out of the United States, you are immersed in so many new cultures, you have to try the new foods… and if it sucks, hey at least you tried. And don’t let the fear of gaining weight hold you back. There is so much walking involved while being abroad, I probably walked 6-7 miles a day. Just enjoy it.

Regret. Traveling is exhausting, but get up and go do things. You do not want to get home and say “Wow I wish I went to (insert cool place here).” You don’t know if you will ever get the chance to go back, so take advantage of every opportunity.

“Travel. As much as you can, as far as you can, as long as you can. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place.”

Brittney Waylen is a Political Science major at Bloomsburg University. She is a member of Phi Iota Chi, a local sorority at Bloomsburg, where she held both Secretary and National Panhellenic Council Representative positions in the past. 
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.